My Fluke 85 died! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My Fluke 85 died!

I've had this baby since the early 90's. I'm not an electronics guy so the extent of my use of this DMM has been to check voltage at the various outlets of my house that I bought last June and biasing my amp. The last time I used it the readings seemed to be 'odd' in that it was reading high with the bias pot turned all the down until it got close to the number I wanted to and then it would then be reading ok for the last 20 seconds while fine tuning the adjustment. I figured it was due to the house wiring because if saw the way things were wired in this house you'd understand. I did have it inspected by an expert electrician I know before purchasing so the house is safe...just weird.

Anyway...I finally decided to try out a new set of tubes so I broke out the DMM. It wouldn't power on so i put a new battery in. Still nothing. So...I'm in the market for a new one. I don't want to spent $400. I was hoping somewhere between $50 and $100. But if a lesser expensive Fluke is still the way to go I'd spring for a 113 or 117.

Suggestions please? Thank you. Blake
Old 18th January 2016, 01:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
There is a vast choice on ebay.
fluke digital multimeter in Electrical and Test Equipment | eBay
Old 18th January 2016, 01:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Be sure to sell your old one on eBay as broken for parts or repair. There are folks who who will buy it and often repair and resell it.
Old 18th January 2016, 02:06 PM   #4
djoffe is offline djoffe  United States
diyAudio Member

The radio shack meters aren't bad...for example:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717078789

Akitika Preamp and Power Amp Kits

Update My Dynaco
Old 20th January 2016, 07:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

@Sprags

If you would like suggestions on how to fix your Fluke 85, I can provide some assuming you have another working meter to take measurements.

PS. You should never need to adjust the calibration pot on a Fluke 80 series. You may have had an "oops" moment where you had the multimeter on ohms while measuring very high voltage?

Last edited by retiredcaps; 20th January 2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 21st January 2016, 01:39 AM   #6
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

To be honest I'm not sure why it doesn't work but I'd like fix it if you can help me out with instructions. I really want to get my tube amp going so I splurged on a DMM from HomeDepot.

I'm going to be building a Tubelab SSE soon and its suggested it would make working on it easier if I had more than one DMM....so if I can get my Fluke 85 running again that will be a good thing.
Old 21st January 2016, 04:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

To troubleshoot, first download the Fluke 85 service manual.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/83_85_87smeng0500.pdf

Then look at table 3-14 and report your voltage measurements for each test point/parameter (i.e. VDD, VSS, etc). Use the schematics and circuit diagram to find each test point/parameter.

Report your findings for each one. If you get 0V for all of them, it could be a simple battery connector problem?

A case study in a dead Fluke 83 by modemhead ...

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-83-dmm-repair/

"This example arrives without its usual yellow holster and is completely dead. No display at all."

Last edited by retiredcaps; 21st January 2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 21st January 2016, 05:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprags View Post
I really want to get my tube amp going so I splurged on a DMM from HomeDepot.
What did you end up buying?

Hide this!Advertise here!