RIGOL MSO1074Z-S, 14 months after purchase - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2016, 04:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RIGOL MSO1074Z-S, 14 months after purchase

I'd like to hear your opinion since according to the support answer form the RIGOL authorized dealer this topic is closed. I bought a new MS01074Z-S about 14 months ago. During this time it was used frequently and it wasn't abused in any sense (e.g. overvoltage on inputs, no AC mains surges, mechanical pressure on probes and input BNC connectors, etc.). Recently I noticed that something is wrong when no signal is present on any of its 4 inputs. At first I thought that probes are picking up some external noise, but even without probes and when I selected input grounding the situation was not improved a bit. Here is the screenshot with all inputs grounded before I contact their dealer technical support:

Click the image to open in full size.

Technical support suggest me self-calibration. I follow that and self-calibration begins. After lots of clicking and traces moving around the calibration is successfully finished. After restart I got the following (again all input are grounded):

It seems like an improvement but just selecting the AC coupling even without probe cable connected I got the following on the Ch3 that looks better then others on the above picture:

I sent the same screenshot to the dealer and I got the following response:
Quote:
... Rigol compared it to their own devices and with the device specifications, this noise is considered normal and within specs for the MSO1000Z series devices. Unfortunately we can't improve it any more.
With different time base grounded ch3 looks like this:

My question is does anybody experienced the same behavior on not completely new MSO or any other RIGOL's device from the same series/class? Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2016, 06:46 PM   #2
cwtim01 is offline cwtim01  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I also have a Rigol. If I choose GND coupling I got some nice clean straight lines, but if I choose AC coupling with the probe connected and grounded at the tip, I get these junk in the second diagram.

The switching power supply in my PC is causing these junk, and to be able to measure small signal I have to unplug my PC from the wall socket, and ideally all other switchers around.
Old 13th January 2016, 09:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Another day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwtim01 View Post
I also have a Rigol. If I choose GND coupling I got some nice clean straight lines, but if I choose AC coupling with the probe connected and grounded at the tip, I get these junk in the second diagram.

The switching power supply in my PC is causing these junk, and to be able to measure small signal I have to unplug my PC from the wall socket, and ideally all other switchers around.
Thanks for your input. I noticed today that what is presented is actually with 1mV resolution since 10x displaying option is selected. Anyway, I had an impression that it was much better some times ago. Unfortunately no screenshots exists from that time to prove it.
Regarding your comment about PC's power supply: it's silent enough and switching it off doesn't make any change.
I'm aware that Rigol is really entry level and combination of price and installed features is great but it comes a time when you realized that serious equipment needs serious spending. Anyway, as an reference for future buyers, here is what I got this morning (again without any other equipment in closed proximity switched on):

Another day, another luck? After self-calibration the situation was improved. Here is how it looks without probe plugged in and AC coupled:

... or grounded:

So it seems that the new practice would be to starts a day with self-calibration.
Old 13th January 2016, 01:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasimix View Post
Thanks for your input. I noticed today that what is presented is actually with 1mV resolution since 10x displaying option is selected. Anyway, I had an impression that it was much better some times ago. Unfortunately no screenshots exists from that time to prove it.
Regarding your comment about PC's power supply: it's silent enough and switching it off doesn't make any change.
I'm aware that Rigol is really entry level and combination of price and installed features is great but it comes a time when you realized that serious equipment needs serious spending. Anyway, as an reference for future buyers, here is what I got this morning (again without any other equipment in closed proximity switched on):

Another day, another luck? After self-calibration the situation was improved. Here is how it looks without probe plugged in and AC coupled:

... or grounded:

So it seems that the new practice would be to starts a day with self-calibration.
These have been used for quite a while with great results. One thing to remember is that the higher the bandwidth, the noisier the trace. Does it change if you enable the 20MHz BW Filter?

That being said, post this over on EEVBlog forums, asking if this is normal. The people there not only know the performance of these devices inside and out (they can tell you EVERY bug in the software, including the esoteric ones) they can likely tell you how to fix it IF something is wrong. It is also possible the noise can be coming from outside your house. Some SMPS when they go bad can be seen on a scope for surprisingly long distances.

Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 13th January 2016 at 01:48 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!