advice testing speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm a new diy-speaker hobbiest and i'm a bit at a loss how to get Arta to test the speakers with the following setup.

i have Arta software installed on Win7-x64 wanting to test some speakers here at home.

i have a USB Roland Quad-Capture preamp with a Dayton Audio EMM-6 measurement microphone connected to my computer (Left Channel).

i got as far as loading the calibration file for the mic into Arta.

i think the Arta SW produces some test tone and i should have one of the speakers to test hooked up to the output of the Roland Quad-Capture device and the EMM-6 microphone positioned withing a meter of the speaker?

or is there some test "music/tone flac file" i play through the receiver to the speaker?

i saw a video on youtube, "RMAF12: Measuring Loudspeakers and Room Performance for Everyone" and it explained the sound interface setup. the only thing missing i didn't have was a loopback patch cable for connecting an input-to-output on the roland quad-capture.

the video also mentioned eqroomanalyzer software which is free vs the Arta.

working well now.

I use a Sabien Workstation and a Shure Beta 87 as a reference mic. The workstation sends pink noise to the speaker on test and the mic monitors the sound produced then the Workstation plots the frequency response.

thanks for the reply.

i got it to work once i learned about the loopback needed. the software sends pink noise to the speaker and the mic i use, the EMM-6 monitors it and software graphs what is being monitored.

like your setup a bit without the Sabien.

Excellent. You will get good results from your system.

i spoke too soon

i got the microphone to work with the quad-capture but to test speakers, the output of the quad-capture doesn't fireup any speakers i have except the krk rokit5. of course they have their own power.

all i was wanting to do was test some new speakers i built.

guess i'll try and generate a pink-noise file via software, have my denon play that through the speakers i want to test and get the microphone to capture that into the acoustic software.

i'm a new diy-speaker hobbiest and i'm a bit at a loss how to get Arta to test the speakers with the following setup.

i have Arta software installed on Win7-x64 wanting to test some speakers here at home.

i have a USB Roland Quad-Capture preamp with a Dayton Audio EMM-6 measurement microphone connected to my computer (Left Channel).

i got as far as loading the calibration file for the mic into Arta.

i think the Arta SW produces some test tone and i should have one of the speakers to test hooked up to the output of the Roland Quad-Capture device and the EMM-6 microphone positioned withing a meter of the speaker?

or is there some test "music/tone flac file" i play through the receiver to the speaker?

You may be doing things the harder way.

Forget about the calibration curve for the mic, at least until you get more experience.

I suspect that Room Eq Wizard may be far easier to use than Arta. It is freeware. There is a lot of doc for it. There are more user forums for it. Ditto for Holme Impulse.

You may be doing things the harder way.

Forget about the calibration curve for the mic, at least until you get more experience.

I suspect that Room Eq Wizard may be far easier to use than Arta. It is freeware. There is a lot of doc for it. There are more user forums for it. Ditto for Holme Impulse.

i suspect that also. ;-)

room eq is easier in its design is a bit more intuitive and i've hooked up with some tutorials on youtube and forum. thx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.