Isolation tranformer to lab bench

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
most of my mains powered test instruments are floating. They have isolating transformers inside.
All my portable/battery powered test instruments are floating.

The exception is the scope and no one has replied to the question whether it should remain PE connected or floated on the isolated supply.

I think the ideal test rack an O-scope or spectrum analyzer say enclosed in a screen room has a dedicated ground also bonded to the isolated secondary shield. The primary shield is only tied to the (dirty) input PE ground.

Last edited:
no the ground probe establishes the testing ground where ever it is placed, the secondary leads are both hot but chassis is grounded to the shield and dedicated earth ground.

the scope or SA chassis is the measurement "ground heaven".

Attachments

• isolation XFMR.PNG
    isolation XFMR.PNG
    66.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I do not follow.
Where is the EARTH/PE for the mains transformer?
Does that EARTH connect to the interwinding screen?
Does that EARTH connect to the screening box around the transformer?

Does the Output PE connect to the transformer screening box?
and/or to anything else?

the screen room can also be a ground plane on the bench top, for best results the test equipment is bonded to that. this is the clean ( reference ) ground.

The secondary screen is connected to that by way of bonding including the metal conduit to the mains filter boxes.
The clean ground is connected to a dedicated good earth ground.
there is no connection between secondary and primary but the magnetic path.
PE only connects to primary screen. (its the dirty ground return.)

link http://surflibrary.org/ses/Tempest/Tempestpapers/Transformers.pdf

Last edited:
And the earthground thingie on the "shield room wall" what is that? An anchor in the garden?
It cannot be an anchor in the ground. That would increase the risk of lightning strike damage/injury.

One must use the electricity providers EARTH to protect against lightning strike.
Otherwise one could have thousands of volts between the personal EARTH and the mains EARTH. I would not like to be handling two components connected to different earths. And worse you would not need to touch both components, if the voltage difference is high enough the spark can jump.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.