New Scopes < $500

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll be buying my first scope to start with the basics and grow into the more advanced features.

These 2 Models seem to be leading the pack on Amazon and are right in my price point. I'd have to add on some 100x probes...

Siglent SDS1102CML
http://www.amazon.com/Siglent-SDS11...sbs_328_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0123QJZJSYB4KZVTFEJB

Rigol DS1102E
Rigol DS1102E 100MHz Digital Oscilloscope, Dual Analog Channels, 1 GSa/s Sampling, USB Storage: Science Lab Oscilloscopes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I see old Tektronix 465B Scopes are highly rated and available on the used marked. The refurbished or calibrated ones seem to sell for close to the same price. I'd rather get a new scope / w a warranty and not have to start off "fixing / testing my test equipment)

Would I be missing anything important feature choosing one of those two new models versus an older tektronix?

Thank you!

This subject has been already discuss many time...
The best value for money scope is today the Rigol DS1054Z.
Plenty of features scope with "analog like" display for very attractive price.
Used analog scope is fine too, but IMHO much less versatile...
After, it's your own choice. :)
Regards.

Frex

I have the Rigol DS1102E, and am very happy with it. The thing has simply sat on my bench and done everything it said it would do when I bought it. Marvelous. The same can't be said of a Hantek signal generator I also have. After experiencing it I would be hesitant to buy a Hantek scope. I've no experience with Siglent.

The choice between the DS1102E and the DS1054Z relates to whether you're willing to risk hacking your DS1054Z or not. By doing the hack described in many places, such as:

How To Get 50 More Zed From Your Rigol DS1054Z | Hackaday

you can turn your DS1054Z into a DS1104Z for real!

There's no question about it, a DS1104Z's definitely better than a DS1102E. So, if you're willing to do the hack, then the DS1054Z's the obvious choice.

But, if you don't want to risk hacking the scope, then the fact that the (2 channel) DS1102E has a bandwidth of 100MHz (in comparison to the DS1054Z's 50MHz) can be an advantage for the older design. In pretty much every other aspect the DS1054Z's better though, such as having a bigger higher resolution screen, 4 channel operation at <= 250 MSa/s, etc.

I bought my first real scope six months ago, the choice was between Rigol DS1054Z and DS2072A-S, at the end I opted for the 2072A-S.

It's probably USD300 above your original budget, but apart from the only weakness of having 2 channels only, it is a step up in every aspect comparing with the DS1054Z:

Risk free hack to 300MHz
500nV per division resolution
Higher max sampling rate of 2GSa/s
Much higher memory depth, especially after the hack
Built in function generator
Bigger screen

It's sort of future proof for a while, and more than enough for the most serious hobbyist I believe.

Right now I would consider the Rigol DS1000Z series or the Instek GDS-1000B series. Or if you can afford it, try to save up for the Rigol DS2072A or DS2102A.
Siglent has a new SDS1000X series that has better specs than anyone else in it's class. However, no one has one yet to know how well it works. It was just released yesterday.

I have an Instek GDS-1102B and is much better than than both the old Rigol DS1102E and Siglent SDS1102CML. Both of these old scopes have a very low screen resolution (320x240) and lack intensity grading. Both the Rigol 1000z and Instek 1000B have a larger (800x480) display.

The only downsides to the GDS-1000B series is the relatively poor intensity grading compared to Rigol, and the lack of an trigger output. Hopefully Instek can improve the intensity grading feature with new firmware.

The Rigol DS1000z series has much better intensity grading, which can be very useful with analog signals.

I am completely ignorant of any of the models mentioned in this thread. The place I work purchased a Rigol spectrum analyzer and, after using it for ten hours or so, it seems to do everything it claims to do, and is a good value.

For decades I said I'd rather have a used Tek scope than a new instrument from anybody else. A major factor in my prejudice was the triggering functions. It always seemed much easier to make the Tek 'scopes trigger the way I wanted them to, even on complex or problematic waveforms.

I agree with the late Jim Williams that, in experienced hands, a good analog 'scope can reveal information that completely evades a digital scope . . . but for a general-purpose instrument used by, say, a hobbyist or small-time consultant, the digital storage scope is the way to go. I have a basic Tek TDS1002 here at home and it does things I could only dream of 20 years ago.

Dale

I have a Digilent Analog Discovery. 2 ins 2 outs 14 bits 100 MSPS.
16 logic GPIOs as well, I havn't used the logic features much yet...

Digilent Inc. - Digital Design Engineer's Source

5MHz bandwidth challenged, but offers all kinds of ways to use
those ins and outs simultaneously. To trace the curve of a diode
or network analyze a loudspeaker crossover...

They show the full extensively commented internal schematic,
all but the FPGA code. Its a real instrument, not some toy.

I signed up to one of those free massively open online courses
(was UTA's course on programming the TI Stellaris Arm in Keil)
and the teacher suggested we qualify to get one on a student
discount, at the time was $99. I popped another $40 for BNC
adaptor and 10x probes. Costs more now, worth watching to
see if price drops again.

Last edited:
Hi all,

As some others DIYers i've get some times ago a Digilent Analog Discovery.
I just want inform you that a new software has been released (Waveforms2015).
There is also a V2 of the Analog Discovery, but i haven't seen any hardware improvement (only a new box).
The new software is very good, and work now on Linux !
I use it on my Ubuntu desktop.

Regards.

FRex

RE: Digilent Analog Discovery v2 (only a new box)?

I own the original version, was quoted the bandwidth at 5MHz.
Looking up the new version, read 30MHz, whoa that's different!
But digging into the details of each, perhaps not...

Both versions are down the same 0.1dB and 0.5dB at 5MHz and 10MHz.
-3dB for the original is not given, only hinting somewhere above 20Mhz.

---Discovery---

For both scales and both channels, the 0.5dB bandwidth is 10MHz (5MHz@0.1dB).
You can see from the plots that this circuit exceeded the requirements for 5MHz of bandwidth, and the -3dB point is more than 20MHz. However, since many students who will be using the Analog Discovery don't understand the concept of "-3dB" is the "bandwidth" of an instrument, and that a 1V input signal with -3dB applied will measure 0.707V, it was felt from a marketing standpoint to specify the bandwidth of the analog inputs as less than -0.5dB as the "bandwidth". This ensures that when connecting a 10MHz signal on a traditional instrument (with much higher bandwidth), and the Analog Discovery, the measurements will be very similar and lead to less confusion.

---Discovery2---

Analog bandwidth with Discovery BNC adapter12): 30 MHz+ @ 3dB, 10 MHz @ 0.5dB, 5 MHz @ 0.1dB
Analog bandwidth with Wire Kit13): 9 MHz @ 3dB, 2.9 MHz @ 0.5dB, 0.8 MHz @ 0.1dB

---edit---

I have now identified at least one significant improvement:
Variable power supplies with externally powered 700mA current limits.
The original was fixed +/-5V from USB power at 50mA each.
So, not just a new box.

Last edited:
RE: Digilent Analog Discovery

I own the earlier version, was quoted the bandwidth at 5MHz.
Looking up the new version, read 30MHz, whoa that's different!
But digging into the details of each, perhaps not...

---Discovery---

For both scales and both channels, the 0.5dB bandwidth is 10MHz (5MHz@0.1dB).
You can see from the plots that this circuit exceeded the requirements for 5MHz of bandwidth, and the -3dB point is more than 20MHz. However, since many students who will be using the Analog Discovery don't understand the concept of "-3dB" is the "bandwidth" of an instrument, and that a 1V input signal with -3dB applied will measure 0.707V, it was felt from a marketing standpoint to specify the bandwidth of the analog inputs as less than -0.5dB as the "bandwidth". This ensures that when connecting a 10MHz signal on a traditional instrument (with much higher bandwidth), and the Analog Discovery, the measurements will be very similar and lead to less confusion.

---Discovery2---

Analog bandwidth with Discovery BNC adapter12): 30 MHz+ @ 3dB, 10 MHz @ 0.5dB, 5 MHz @ 0.1dB
Analog bandwidth with Wire Kit13): 9 MHz @ 3dB, 2.9 MHz @ 0.5dB, 0.8 MHz @ 0.1dB

Yes an unfortunate irony in a tool to help "teach" the principles. I think the new software unlocks the ability to vary the +-5V power supplies which is useful on low voltage circuits.

I have a anologue scope and it won't give me the exact frequency nor the exact voltage. RMS values has to be best estimates and so on. Maybe todays digital scopes gives you more help. For my part I keep the analog scope for other reasons and use soundcard based scope instead as it gives about every number I wish to have. The nt so much ddiscussed part is how to align them to get true numbers. I still haven't found information that puts this beyond question. Every software have their way to calibrate things but as long it's not an proritezed issue I'll wait and take the numbers with a grain of salt. When someone shows an universal way to calibrate that is working and can be proved by others with different cards and hardware - then I will trust them.

Am I asking for to much? DVM's usually can give about the right figures within their specs despite whom manufactured them - I am looking for the same when it comes to soundcard scopes. Of course there shoud be a last check against some references but I cannot figure out what a single reference should deliver? Can we build something like it? Voltage, Current, Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance and Time. Just switch the cube - six sides - and calibrate what you need. Everything else will follow on these.
May be the later part should be in a thread of its own as it is broader than oscilloscopes. It comes down to all pc-based measurements. So, think thru it and start a thread that gives some answers. I get no answers so it is better if someone else presented it.

Regards

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.