Audio Precision Portable One - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2015, 06:36 PM   #1
VMI is offline VMI  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Precision Portable One

I have an AP Portable One Plus that fails the 1Khz self test, the rest of the tests are ok, does any one know how or which pot or cap adjustment needs to be tweeked.It's only reading 5.68 Hz low. AP wants 600 bucks to fix, they do have a service manual for 250.00, but hate to spend that kind of money on a 20 year old piece of test equipment.
Old 23rd May 2015, 07:19 AM   #2
JohnW is online now JohnW  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

VMI,

On the AP system 1 there are 4 pots on the generator board to trim the centre frequency for spot ranges (there is a pot for 1KHz).

Have you downloaded the AP1 manual? the PCBs might be similar - I have no idea as I've never seen inside a AP Portable One.

I hate it when I hear of such rip-off pricing, Agilent started this trend of capitalising on Calibration / Service costs, so sad....
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:16 AM   #3
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually $600 to fix (and presumably calibrate) a piece of test equipment is really not bad. The calibration of a SYS-2700 will set you back $1500. Rohde & Schwarz charges $3600 for any repair (including a battery replacement) of their RF signal generators.

Nothing related to test equipments is cheap. Nor does it happen fast.

Tom
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Rohde & Schwarz are located in the same city BMW - no wonder they charge so much.

Still US$600 to trim a pot is steep, why not just tell the customer which pot to try and be "Helpful" - we are after all engineers.

Last edited by JohnW; 23rd May 2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

VMI,

On the off chance that your local to the Czech Rep. I can take a look at your until, the AP circuits are simple and even without schematic I can find my way around them.
Old 24th May 2015, 04:19 AM   #6
VMI is offline VMI  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for responses, I am located in Kansas City Mo USA. I guess I will poke around with a scope and see if I can find the oscillator. Our company bought the Portable One and a Sys 2 around 1993. I think we were one of the first companies to have a battery powered Class D portable loudspeaker system used by the military. We built about a 1000 systems to use in Iraq and Afgan. It would put out over 200 watts with 36 volts of Li-dioxide military batteries (BA-5590). We could drive 120 watts RMS power to two speakers continuous with some head room. Latter on we made vehicle, helicopter systems. Our most powerful system was the Helicopter system which would put out 153 db at a meter OUCH my ears!. The company went out of business about a year ago, and I ended up with the AP equipment to settle wages they owed me, then they had an auction and I ended up buying a couple of tons of equipment, hey I am a horder!. I think the web site is still up, vmi.com and about 95% of the equipment I designed is shown on the site. I am retired now, just playing with some of the stuff and selling it on EBAY for extra play money.

Hide this!Advertise here!