Measuring pf values with Fluke 187

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doh! That was obvious. Specs look good, though I wish the meter bandwidth was a bit more for audio use. The range/frequency envelope for capacitance measurements isn't quite complete, but adequate for 99% of stuff.

It looks like it has most of the features you expect in a real LCR, the accuracy is way lower but actually not too bad for a hobbyist meter. The big killer will be price. The Multimeter and LCR functions are both solidly midrange. Will the price be lower than a mid range multimeter and a separate DE-5000 (which is much higher quality LCR).

It's certainly not standards lab grade, but plenty accurate enough for crossover work and most eq stuff. I'm usually more interested in matching channels, than in absolute accuracy. Apparently the DE-5000 LCR is discontinued and replaced by the DE-6000, which is very nice (33% better accuracy than DE-5000 per IET), but probably a bit steep for the casual user. Hopefully one will be able to have a 5004 for less?

It's certainly not standards lab grade, but plenty accurate enough for crossover work and most eq stuff. I'm usually more interested in matching channels, than in absolute accuracy. Apparently the DE-5000 LCR is discontinued and replaced by the DE-6000, which is very nice (33% better accuracy than DE-5000 per IET), but probably a bit steep for the casual user. Hopefully one will be able to have a 5004 for less?
I agree about most hobby users needs. It's quite capable and nice to see the real lcr features with a meter.

As for the DE-6000, don't believe the hype. It's almost entirely an IET labs marketing invention. Der EE is the OEM for both the DE-5000 and 6000 for IET Labs. Internally, they are identical, in fact the only difference is the DE-6000 has three specs with negligible improvements. Improvements that could easily be achieved with easy bining or careful factory calibration. The fact is, the original Der EE DE-5000 on eBay were putting a dent in their sales so they "invented" a new "improved" model. Their hope is that people would not pay attention to the improved specs and pay the inflated prices.

.....so they "invented" a new "improved" model. Their hope is that people would not pay attention to the improved specs and pay the inflated prices.

It seems that some one at IET practicing what learned at school as Aggressive sales marketing practices in the direction of toying with consumers minds.
There is no any DE-6000.

Definably DE-5004 is no replacement to DE-5000.
The second is a dedicated instrument fully capable to justify the description as bridge and also comes with a wide number of selections regarding test frequency.
This would be benefit mostly at Very-Low ESR electrolytic capacitors measurements, found at pulsing power supply.

Regarding DE-5004 I would expect that the readers of this forum is the ones who will predict how suitable it seems to them.
In other worlds I did posted the links so to collect feedback of other people thoughts about it.

The good part is that DEREE Electrical it does care for public comments so to improve their products if needed.
When many other vendors has their ears closed those days.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.