Finally settled on a Soldering Station - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Jaimo is online now Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Finally settled on a Soldering Station

After months of agonizing over what Iron to buy, I shortlisted these three Irons...

1. Hakko FX-951
2. XYtronic LF-3000
3. JBC CD-1DB

I wanted an iron that came up to speed quickly, maintained it's temperature, had an auto shutoff feature and could handle both point-to-point tube circuit wiring and SMD work. I also wanted an iron that had a good selection of long lasting tips with a quick tip change feature.

The Hakko was the mid priced option coming in at about USD300 (Station plus ceramic tips, taxes etc)

Xytronix was the low price iron @ just under $200

but I finally settled on the JBC which was much more expensive than the other two but came very highly recommended by a number of folks who's opinion I trust.

Can't wait to take delivery...
Old 30th September 2014, 05:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimo View Post
After months of agonizing over what Iron to buy, I shortlisted these three Irons...

1. Hakko FX-951
2. XYtronic LF-3000
3. JBC CD-1DB

I wanted an iron that came up to speed quickly, maintained it's temperature, had an auto shutoff feature and could handle both point-to-point tube circuit wiring and SMD work. I also wanted an iron that had a good selection of long lasting tips with a quick tip change feature.

The Hakko was the mid priced option coming in at about USD300 (Station plus ceramic tips, taxes etc)

Xytronix was the low price iron @ just under $200

but I finally settled on the JBC which was much more expensive than the other two but came very highly recommended by a number of folks who's opinion I trust.

You made a great choice, everyone I know that owns a JBC absolutely loves it.
Old 30th September 2014, 07:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimo View Post

Why you do not ask the folks that you trust to clap their hands for you too?
Do you seek bragging rights ?

Will you feel any better if I inform you that latest (2014) ATTEN AT-90DH has professional high standards and worth half price from your selection.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #4
Jaimo is online now Jaimo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Kiriakos,

I have no intention to "brag"

As I mentioned in my OP, I spent many months researching and short listing my iron selection. Since the topic of iron selection comes up regularly in this forum, I figured that I would share my experiences with the group for the benefit of those looking for a good iron.

Your sarcasm is unwarranted and this discussion is clearly not for you since you have a tool that you are perfectly happy with.

Your comment is irrevelant to my post since we seem to have no point of reference - I have no experience with Atten and you appear to have no experience with JBC - but enjoy your Atten just the same.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Look forward to your report. I looked at similar stations to replace my old Weller and had decided the JBC was the one to go for. Not made the plunge yet...

Hide this!Advertise here!