DMM with Nanoamp Current Resolution - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2014, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question DMM with Nanoamp Current Resolution

I am working on guitar effect boxes and would like a DMM that has resolution to the nanoamp for measuring base and collector current being fed to transistors. I am often finding current values in the 100 to 200 nanoamp range and need to be able to evaluate them to something finer than .1 microamp in order to determine proper gain values. Would prefer something not out of hobbyist's price range. Bench or hand held is not an important factor.

If anyone knows of any particular meters that would fit this bill or can point me to source material your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 29th September 2014, 10:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just of curiosity I need to ask, what are you using today in such measurements?
No one can offer a suggestion about a better meter with out been aware of what you use now.
Old 29th September 2014, 10:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I currently use a pair of handheld Extech MN36 meters, one tied into the base current and one tied into the collector current. The best resolution I get is to 0.1uA. Unfortunately, that is not fine grained enough for the very low current values I am encountering, i.e. between 0.1uA and 0.2uA.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Resolution below .1uA is not available in common handheld meters because it requires either too high of a shunt resistance to be practical or an extra DC precise amplifier with tons of gain. If you want to make a nanoammeter yourself, those are still the options.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You don't need a new multimeter, you just need this:

The uCurrent Gold. It's designed and sold by Dave Jones at EEVBlog and is a current to voltage converter. It has a nA, uA and mA range. Not only will it allow you to measure nA currents, it also has a much lower burden voltage than pretty much all multimeters. This is especially important with dealing with nA currents. You basically use this in conjunction with your regular multimeter on the mV range and the reading in mV is the current in mA.
Old 30th September 2014, 07:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
You don't need a new multimeter, you just need this:
The pile of complains is large by the ones who got it.
I do not have to offer an alternative solution, by neither I would trust, something which is not accepted for verification by any calibration lab.
Old 30th September 2014, 07:14 AM   #7
nr12 is offline nr12  Germany
diyAudio Member

Try a Keithley 2001.
Range Resolution
200 uA 10 pA
2 mA 100 pA
20 mA 1 nA
200 mA 10 nA
2 A 100 nA

Maybe a Keithley 2000 will be ok also?
Old 30th September 2014, 07:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Measuring low currents? -- read up on the application notes at Linear Tech, and Bob Pease (RIP) "What's all this fempto-Ampere stuff anyway?" which is archived on the Texas Instruments site.

My Fluke 177 has a DC millivolt range, but below 5mv it gets a bit wonky. You'll need a very low noise, low bias current instrumentation amplifier, perhaps an OPA4140 arranged as an inamp with a gain of 10,000, perhaps you can get away with a shunt resistor of as much as 100R -- then 10nA will read 10mV. For this low current, low noise measurement you will need to use shielded twisted pair, run the INAMP off 9V batteries which are decoupled with 100nF ceramic caps, etc., etc. It can be done for less than $10.

EDIT - specifically look for application note #105 of Linear's website.

Last edited by jackinnj; 30th September 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 30th September 2014, 07:59 AM   #9
nr12 is offline nr12  Germany
diyAudio Member

A Fluke 8050a will give you a resolution of 0.01 A (range 200 A).
Old 30th September 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The gain of a properly designed transistor circuit is determined by external components. You can measure the health and approximate current amplification factor of a transistor by a Beta-tester, part of most hand held DMMs.

Hide this!Advertise here!