Olson TE-209 Audio Generator, Sine and Square Wave - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Listen is offline Listen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Olson TE-209 Audio Generator, Sine and Square Wave

Does anyone know where I can find a schematic and/or manual for this unit?

Thanks,

John
Old 21st July 2014, 03:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I suspect that this audio generator may have been released under more than one brand/model name/number, so here is a picture to help identify it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks for any leads,

John
Old 22nd July 2014, 04:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

John,

I can't get your picture to display.

I am not familiar with that model by Olson. If I recall correctly, Olson was a bargain retailer of hobby electronics and hi-fi equipment. At the national level they were similar to Lafayette Radio, and Burstein-Applebee; there were also some regional competitors. I think they all disappeared in the early 1970's.

As you noted, it is not unusual for a basic design to be produced or marketed by several retailers. Sometimes the only differences are front-panel paint and markings; in other cases there may be minor changes in the circuitry. (I think there was a thread on this Forum last winter regarding an obscure VTVM, and the owner discovered that the example circuit published in the RCA Tube Manual for a dozen years or more was almost identical to his unit.)

Can you offer any additional clues about your generator? Approximate age? Tube or transistor? A view inside the case?

Dale
Old 22nd July 2014, 06:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

My guess is that the oscillator is similar to the Lafayette TE-22. Manual including circuit diagram here:
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tech/te22

My blog:
Consort3's Blog | Just another WordPress.com weblog
Old 22nd July 2014, 03:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

dchisholm: It is a tube unit--I'm sort of a tube guy. In any case, I will post more pics and some specs tomorrow.

consort_ee_um: Oh THAT looks interesting. Even if it is not an exact match, it may help me diagnose my model.

all: This is quite a well-made little audio generator. The problem I am chasing is this: Although it produces near perfect sine-wave output, it flat-lines when I flip the switch to square wave.

Thanks to all!

John
Old 23rd July 2014, 06:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listen View Post
dchisholm: It is a tube unit--I'm sort of a tube guy. In any case, I will post more pics and some specs tomorrow. . . .
I'll give you 50/50 odds the oscillator is a Wien bridge circuit, and probably quite similar to models by Heath and Eico from the 1950's and 60's. Schematics for those instruments should be readily available.

Dale
Old 23rd July 2014, 03:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Exactly correct, it is a Wien bridge and the Olson TE-209 appears to be an exact clone of the Lafayette TE-22.

Someone has rewired the heater circuit for v2 and replaced the 6AQ8 with a 12AT7. I hope to restore it the factory configuration and function tonight.

I suspect that v2 first clips one side and then the other of the sine wave to create the square wave output, so trouble shooting should be easy.

Thanks,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
I'll give you 50/50 odds the oscillator is a Wien bridge circuit, and probably quite similar to models by Heath and Eico from the 1950's and 60's.
Old 24th July 2014, 02:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

First, thanks to all. Got home and swapped in the correct tube after rewiring the heaters properly; still no square-wave output. Traced it back and realized that the square/sine switch was wired backward. Swapped two wires and voila! Checked the alignment and I suspect that it is running better than spec. In any case, after this unit warms up for a half hour or so, it is a nice, stable, accurate audio generator all across its bandwidth that will be a joy to have on the bench.

Best,

John

Hide this!Advertise here!