Kester Lead-Free Hand-Soldering Article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My go to solder for audio projects is Kester 44 - 0.031" Sn62Pb36Ag2. Working on more SMD stuff lately, this size is ok but I was looking to order some 0.15" solder to make my life easier. Which led me to revisit lead-free solder. My past experiences with lead-free have been not so good so this article from Kester caught my attention :eek::

Lead-free Hand-soldering – Ending the Nightmares

For my level of experience with lead-free this was exactly the type of information I was looking for it talks about the different types, temperatures, tip choices, inspection changes and even has transition steps.

I just wanted to link it here in case anyone else found it useful as well.

Cheers

I have had good luck with the stuff found at Radio Shack as well.

The non-spill rosin flux paste they have (Cat. 64-022) is a must have and makes everything much easier.

Here are some pictures of my very first attempt at SMD and it was much nicer and easier that I had expected!!

I used the RS Cat.64-1013 .022" 62/36/2 on this TSSOP package and it worked very well.

I haven't gotten any of the thinner stuff (.015") yet but I plan to give it a try as well.

Once I got the .022" home, I had realized that I maybe should have gotten some thinner stuff, but it worked.

Actually I was skeptical to use the stuff because it was silver based and I have used silver based solders before.

FWIW

jer :)

Attachments

• SMD1.jpg
    SMD1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 142
  • SMD2.jpg
    SMD2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 145
  • SMD3.jpg
    SMD3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 144
  • SMD4.jpg
    SMD4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I have had good luck with the stuff found at Radio Shack as well.

Nice work indeed! :magnify:

I agree on the flux. Also cleaning the pads with iso alcohol and kim wipe then fluxing then soldering makes a really big difference on how things go. I have had good luck with the Kester Rosin pens they put down a tacky flux that holds the little buggers in place but clean-up's not as easy. My usual is a needle dispenser type my current is a Metron RMA sourced from All-Spec. Clean-up with it is very easy and it is the liquidy type so it provides a satisfying sizzle before the solder melts :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.