Do you still run a Behringer UltraCurve? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2014, 03:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
Default Do you still run a Behringer UltraCurve?

Back when i started coming to this site there was a lot of discussion around using the Behringer Ultracurve to do room equalization and adjust their EQ to flatten it out. Thorsten wrote that whole famous article, etc. At the time, i had no money, and i never ended up getting one. I see them popping up for sale in the sub-$100 price range lately ( granted, with no mic ) and my interest has been re-peaked.

Do people still use this in their stereo listening rig? Are there better tools than this for room analysis and EQ tuning to suit? I really am out of the loop and curious about what people are using.

I run a completely analog system... VPI Aries Scout w/ Lyra Helikon SL MC, Hagerman Cornet, into various tube amps ( Tubelab SE w/45's, RH84v2, Heathkit W4 monoblocks, etc ), and into Klipsch Cornwalls. I do use both my Xbox and my Tv / cable as digital sources, though, in through a Benchmark USB DAC.
Old 8th July 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

I have tried the Audysse Pro model... didnt do much for my room and used it with headphone... did good there. But, I dont have it in my system because it didnt make much difference in my acoustic listening setup. Not much to correct was the problem.

I also got excited about the UltraCurve and bought one to use as electronic cross-over/EQ for a new and upcoming DIY speaker system. Unfortunately that new speaker system has not yet got off the ground and is still on the runway.

-RM
Old 8th July 2014, 05:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
.......got excited about the UltraCurve and bought one to use as electronic cross-over/EQ for a new and upcoming DIY speaker system. Unfortunately that new speaker system has not yet got off the ground and is still on the runway.

-RM
Hmmm....! Exact same situation I'm in. The drivers however were installed on the panels ( OB system) many moons ago ! Hopefully I'll get it working soon.
The Ultracurve was powered up twice but not played ! I did however power up AND use my CX3400 crossover !
Old 8th July 2014, 06:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I havent experimented with the UltraCurve but if it has a steep learning curve, I'll never use it. Must be fairly intuitive to operate with no problems. I have run out of patience for things which need a lot of hand-holding and fidling with to make it work. Let me know how it works for you.

Where do you live?

THx-Richard Marsh
Old 8th July 2014, 12:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey Magnetmaz!

Old School!

The date code on the back of my UltraCurve is 10 01 ... that's probably older than the youngest members at diyaudio

See my upgrade thread:

Old School! Ultracurve8024 DAC upgrade, trans output, USB-midi remote control!

batt powered cs4390 trans output lundahl LL1527XL.jpg

Battery powered CS4390 DAC with transformer output (lundahl ll1527xl).

Funny, T was just saying how he thought the old Ultracurve (analog in/out, upgraded) was very transparent...

Magnetmaz, the issue for you is dealing with the pro level inputs (8Vrms), you need to be at that level to get good A to D. Unless you change the input gain or entire input circuit.

Richard, if you have any questions, please ask. I could give you a walk-through on whatever you want to do with yours. And the WinEditor software for UC looks very easy and intuitive, see my last two posts:

I couldn't get the sw working but I didn't try for long and don't know much about MIDI, so if others could try the sw or try to trouble shoot it I'd greatly appreciate it.

The old UltraCurve is definitely part of do-it-yourself audio history. Many remember T's old enjoythemusic article (and it gives a great overview of room acoustics too!)

Behringer Ultracurve Pro 8024 Digital Equaliser by Thorsten Loesch

January 2001 ... man that makes me feel old!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 9th July 2014, 03:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the info and referrals. i will definitely look you up if and when I get back on that project. But if there are software problems... it wouldnt meet my Easy to Use criteria.
I got mine on eBay... new in the box for a small price compared to MSRP. So, I picked up some other Behringer models they were so cheap... all brand new.

THx-Richard

Last edited by RNMarsh; 9th July 2014 at 03:49 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!