Recommend a USB audio for use with Windows 7 laptop - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2014, 03:09 PM   #1
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Recommend a USB audio for use with Windows 7 laptop

I have finally retired my old Win XP laptop. Unfortunatly my E-MU 0202 does not work with the new Windows 7 laptop. Seems to be a problem with the driver and 64 bit Windows 7. I use this to listen to music and for testing when doing my occasional speaker designing and building. Please recommend a new USB audio device for me.

Thanks
Jim
Old 21st June 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

TC electronics KONNEKT 6. Fantastic sound quality very nice to use also has balanced outputs .. only problem is it uses firewire interface
Old 21st June 2014, 04:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks

I do not have firewire but looked at it just for fun. Nice but unfortunatly they do not have 64 drivers and then there is the problem of my laptop not having firewire ports.
I should probably point out that I do have a microphone preamp, so that is not important.

Thanks
Jim
Old 21st June 2014, 07:53 PM   #4
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi Jim,

Try 0202USB Win7 beta driver.

Creative Worldwide Support
Old 21st June 2014, 09:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro21 View Post
Hi Jim,

Try 0202USB Win7 beta driver.

Creative Worldwide Support
Thanks
I tried that awhile back it but this computer locks up when I try to play something. Strange as I'm sure that driver worked on my work computer a Windows 8 laptop, but it does not provide control over the bit level or sample rate. Still I can not get it to work at all on this one. Someone on another site complained about a different audio device not working on computers with USB 3 ports, perhaps I have a similar problem. I was thinking is was time to upgrade hopefully to something that has asio drivers. I am working on a list of devices to check out. Just starting so there will be a number of unacceptable devices on it, but here it is. Most of these do not provide data for distortion or noise. So far it seems like I may have to buy a desktop and get an M-Audio 192. Unfortunately my small shop does not have the space.

M-Audio M-Track Plus 24 bit 48 kHz $99
M-Audio M-Track Quad 24 bit 96 kHz $250
Avid Mbox 24 bit 96 kHz $299
Scarlett 2i2 24 bit 96 kHz $150
Scarlett 6i6 24 bit 96 kHz $350
Behringer FCA1616 24 bit 96 kHz $250
Steinberg UR22 24 bit 192 kHz $150
RME Fireface UFX 24 bit 192 kHz $2299
Sound Devices USBPre 2 24 bit 192 kHz $849

Jim
Old 21st June 2014, 10:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The beta driver worked fine on my daughter's computer Windows 7 32 bit (USB 2 ports). It even allowed me to run it at 192 kHz. I am still looking looking for an upgrade but someone else may want to know this does work sometimes.

Jim
Old 21st June 2014, 10:48 PM   #7
AlanL is offline AlanL  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm using a Steinberg UR28M with win7, never had driver issues.
Old 21st June 2014, 10:51 PM   #8
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I am using a Tracker Pre with the same beta driver on a win 8.1 dell xps12. I had problems with the older USB3 ports. This generation does not have those problems with USB3 ports. I think its a combination of better hardware and software.

If the Win 7 laptop has a USB 2 only port that might work. (The USB 3 ports are blue)
Old 21st June 2014, 11:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks

USB 3.0 was the problem. This Thinkpad T440s has all USB 3.0 ports, but I was able to "downgrade" this to USB 2.0 in the BIOS. Works fine now. These are Intel chips on the USB so hopefully Intel fixes this in future driver updates. Now I just have to remember to "upgrade" when I need the faster USB 3.0 for my external drives.

Jim
Old 21st June 2014, 11:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Thanks

I do not have firewire but looked at it just for fun. Nice but unfortunatly they do not have 64 drivers and then there is the problem of my laptop not having firewire ports.
I should probably point out that I do have a microphone preamp, so that is not important.

Thanks
Jim
Hi JimT im running it on 64 bit drivers. it works a treat I like having analogue stereo line input too . to me it is my dac come pre amp . Ps It leaves the Maudio gear for dead on sound quality and musicality I used to own some maudio till I stumbled on this KoneKT 6 . It really is a shame TCelectronics do not support usb interface

Last edited by madtecchy; 21st June 2014 at 11:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!