Switching between multiple UHF signals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I'm building a digital spectrum analyser (1Hz to 500Mhz) with a single input but I'd like to switch between multiple input channels (min 3).

Since ONE channel would be analysed at the time I don't see the reason why to complicate the design with multiple ADCs or mess with plugging/unplugging BNCs on the input side. I believe mechanical switches and relays can be forgotten here, so I am looking for a comfortable, low-noise, quality solution which would allow me to either manually or automatically switch between the signals. Actually the latter would be the best: if I could automate the channel selection by the analyser's FPGA.

An analysis would never be less than 1 sec and never takes longer than one minute.

Could you please point me where to start it?

Many thanks in advance

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would suggest shielded relays if building from scratch, especially reed relays due to their low capacitance. You can even make your own budget coaxial relays with some reed relays, if you are able to remove the reed and wrap it in aluminium foil for shielding. You may need to consider termination of unused inputs depending on what you are connecting it to. If you are going to buy a module though then solid-state switches are better for low-power high-isolation applications like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.