Oscilloscope for a beginner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 06:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stavanger (NORWAY)
Default Oscilloscope for a beginner

Hi,
sorry but i got lost in all the 3Ds talking of scopes and i have not been able to understand much.
I am a very beginner and without any real knowledge, so i need something easy to use.
My main, almost only, interest is to check the noise from some DIY power supplies up to 100 V for audio project (preamps).
So I suppose i do not need a big bandwidth, but maybe sensitivity ?
To start i would like a cheap but easy to use scope with a sub connection for the PC
I saw a Member recommending something like this one here

Hantek 6022BE PC-Based USB Digital Storag Oscilloscope 2Channels 20MHz 48MSa/s | eBay

As i said i need it only to check noise out from power supplies
And possibly the ability to generate a sweep 20-20.000 Hz would also be very very much appreciated
Thanks a lot and kind regards,
gino
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Easy one first. For a 20 to 20kHz sweep you can use "Audacity"

Installing and using Audacity. A get you started guide.

The scope I have no experience of other than to say that these cheap PCB based tools are of limited value compared even to a modest spec analogue scope. The spec mentions "input gain range" of 20mv to 5 volts. If that is an equivalent of "volts per division" then its limited. A typical analogue scope would go down to 1mv.

For the price though, they are very good and you will learn a lot.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------
Installing and using LTspice. From beginner to advanced.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 06:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stavanger (NORWAY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Easy one first. For a 20 to 20kHz sweep you can use "Audacity"
Installing and using Audacity. A get you started guide.
Thank you very much indeed. I will study this immediately.

Quote:
The scope I have no experience of other than to say that these cheap PCB based tools are of limited value compared even to a modest spec analogue scope.
The spec mentions "input gain range" of 20mv to 5 volts.
If that is an equivalent of "volts per division" then its limited.
A typical analogue scope would go down to 1mv.
For the price though, they are very good and you will learn a lot
Thanks again
This is really my main need. And actually a 1mV sensibility would be very nice indeed.
I wonder which other models of pc based scopes could give me this kind of value.
Are they much more expensive ?
i could do a little bigger effort for something that i could use also when i will have some more experience (i.e. not a toy)
In particular i like very much to get noise spectra like this one here

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks a lot and kind regards, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 10th May 2014 at 06:56 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I honestly can't really advise on the scope, I've no experience of the PC based ones at all. The picture looks as though its using something far more sophisticated and higher specced tbh, particularly when you look at the levels and frequencies.

Wait and see what others think
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------
Installing and using LTspice. From beginner to advanced.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 07:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stavanger (NORWAY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I honestly can't really advise on the scope, I've no experience of the PC based ones at all. The picture looks as though its using something far more sophisticated and higher specced tbh, particularly when you look at the levels and frequencies.
Wait and see what others think
Thanks a lot again. Kind regards, gino
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
In particular i like very much to get noise spectra like this one here
You look for many bits of resolution and the audio spectrum. Just AC couple with a capacitor to a PC soundcard and use a program like ARTA.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 07:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stavanger (NORWAY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
You look for many bits of resolution and the audio spectrum. Just AC couple with a capacitor to a PC soundcard and use a program like ARTA.
Hi and thanks for the suggestion
I guess you mean this one

ARTA Download

I will try it for sure. Thanks a lot.
gino
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 08:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson,michigan
I might want to consider taking a look at Visual Analyzer as well!

Exploring Visual Analyser (VA)

It is a sound card based scope that does most everything you would need within the audio range.
It is great for learning the basics of scope controls as well as many other very viable tools such as an RTA a THD meter ,and , impedance measurements that are included and it is free!!

Once you learn calibrate and work with it you will find that it is very accurate!!

http://www.esldiy.com/index.php?topic=176.msg310#msg310

But you can't beat a good decent quality analog scope either!!!

FWIW

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 10th May 2014 at 08:35 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 01:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stavanger (NORWAY)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
I might want to consider taking a look at Visual Analyzer as well!
Exploring Visual Analyser (VA)
It is a sound card based scope that does most everything you would need within the audio range.
It is great for learning the basics of scope controls as well as many other very viable tools such as an RTA a THD meter ,and , impedance measurements that are included and it is free!!
Once you learn calibrate and work with it you will find that it is very accurate!!
The Visual Analyzer VA 2011
Hi and thanks a lot ! lots of functions indeed
I am mostly interested in noise spectra from power supply
But some more flexibility is clearly welcom
I will study it

Quote:
But you can't beat a good decent quality analog scope either!!!
FWIW
jer
What can be considered a decent entry level for this ? how much would it cost ? just to have a reference
Thanks again, gino
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
 
Mooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Something like this would be a minimum,
Hameg 20MHz Oscilloscope HM203-6 GWO | eBay

No traditional analogue scope will do FFT analysis which is what your picture shows.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------
Installing and using LTspice. From beginner to advanced.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner Help. SonicLife18 Power Supplies 2 11th July 2012 11:19 PM
Help for beginner catorg Full Range 7 23rd January 2012 01:57 AM
Beginner tareqx2 Multi-Way 19 22nd August 2007 05:53 PM
Help for a beginner? fishwinker Solid State 0 26th September 2005 08:52 PM
sorry, another beginner (hopefully soon) zach Solid State 3 18th January 2002 12:48 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2