Bulb Limiter for Testing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2014, 12:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bulb Limiter for Testing

The recommendation to use a bulb limiter is a very good one, but many don't know what one is. I thought I'd just put up a diagram to make it clear. Use a standard electrical box used for lighting fixtures with appropriate wire clamps and a plain old bulb base with a regular incandescent bulb. The wiring can simply be a short extension cord cut into two for the purpose.

Hope more folks new to the hobby build this first.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bulb Limiter.png (55.1 KB, 182 views)
Old 6th March 2014, 12:58 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes. Extremely useful item for anyone building or repairing mains-powered electronics.

I included an output switch, and a lamp bypass switch. Mounted the whole thing on a piece of wood.

The big snag is that incandescent bulbs are getting harder to find, and those which are available are clear (i.e. unfrosted) so it is harder to judge the degree of illumination. I have a small stock which I hope will last longer than I do!
Old 6th March 2014, 01:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did the same with mine, mounted up on a board and with a main on/off and limiter bypass switches. I just wanted to show the simplest approach so folks can really see what we are talking about.
Old 6th March 2014, 04:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Also see this thread and it's other links:

Light Bulb Tester
Old 6th March 2014, 08:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have one I built 30 years ago. It also has a pair of sockets for measuring currant across the bulb. The bulb has to be removed when there is a meter connected or else the reading will be a waste of time.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I usually tell people to google "light bulb limiter" and they will find an endless stream of various descriptions and techniques.
Old 7th March 2014, 03:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

My father build one 70 years ago ... it is an old trick ... a good one .... my fathers one had a fuse in the bypass switch .... the first electric experiments I did were done with this tester ..... 45 years ago ....

The switch he used had 3 positions .... OFF .... power through the lightbulb.... power throught the fuse ...............

Hide this!Advertise here!