Measurement mic calibrated - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2014, 08:22 AM   #11
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The B-5 is still an electret. Even many of the B&K's are electrets. You can get the Behrenger ECM8000 for $60 at Amazon. This is also sold by a number of other people with different names. they are all good. Here is the spec sheet: http://c3.zzounds.com/media/ECM8000_...4844659eb5.pdf
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have to find a local EU Supplier. Var and freight Will more than double the US prices
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

As far ad I know all the look a likes are from Superlux including the Behringer
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Check this out as well:
Cross·Spectrum - Calibrated Dayton Audio EMM-6 Microphones for Sale

Hobbyists seem to turn to USB mics nowadays, for obvious convenience reasons.

Last edited by TheShaman; 3rd March 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes I can get from Germany

https://www.intertechnik.de/Shop/Zub...8,de,220,96418

And they also have some other stuff I need, so might go for that one. USB is always more expensive than XLR and since I have a good preamp with phantom I will go for XLR.

The alternative is and uncalibrated superlux from Thomann

Superlux ECM999 - Thomann Danmark

But the difference is only 10€.
Old 6th August 2014, 08:27 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
I will se if I can get a used Beyerdynamic MM1 - if not I will just go for an uncalibrated superlux ecm999.
Hej,

I had the ecm999 and today received back the MM1 from HiFi Selbstbau in Köln who calibrated it. As it was requested by the ecm999 buyer, I run a reference curve under specific conditions on one of my home speakers, which I still keep on my laptop. Can run a curve with the MM1 today, air temp and himidity are the same ( himidity is slightly higher though ) and post the two frequency responses so you can compare how much of a difference it is between the cheap Superlux and the MM1.

The bigger problem with cheap mics is not the frequency response, this can be calibrated. It is the distortion of the mic under specific SPL. Most cheap mics don`t even state their max SPL, neither at what distortion level it was measured ( eg. 1% or more ). This is serious because when you run a nearfield measurement at 0 degrees the SPL at the capsule, right at the dust cap of the driver, would be very high, typically above 120db. Second problem is the size of the mic tubing, cheap mics are large, where the MM1 for example or some of the B&K stuff is thin and very narrow.

Besides the issues above, an uncalibrated cheap mic would still produce reliable frequency and phase response in the 500-5Khz band. If you need it for home measurements, your gating frequency would usually be around 500-700Hz so not a big issue, the tweeter, if placed on a baffle, could also be ignored above 5Khz ( if measured alone it would have ragged response in the 5-8Khz band ). You`d need to buy a mic stand and measure properly - the mic`s axis should be the same as the stand`s arm axis to reduce reflections.

Last edited by Mario Pankov; 6th August 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 6th August 2014, 09:32 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but you don't need to measure - another problem with these cheap mic's is that the freq response vary a lot. You can't even now if the capsule is the same from batch to batch.

I do have the Superlux and I just accept that my measures might not be that accurate below 500 Hz and above 5000 Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!