Rigol DS1102E Oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the lower model, that was software upgraded to the 1102. For the money, can't beat it. Great features, easy to use and compares to several name brand models for a fraction of the cost. Negatives are only 8 bit resolution, depth of memory limited at high freq's and the controls are sometimes not as intuitive as expected.

paul

We have a Rigol 1052E (I think) at work. The limitations are that the memory depth means that at slow time bases the sampling rate drops so that the samples fit the screen so aliasing of the input waveform is possible. Also the screen has limited resolution but otherwise good. Dave Jones at the EEVblog has reviewed and torn down Rigol Oscilloscopes.
I would prefer an old analogue scope (or expensive Digital Scope) for audio rather than the Rigol but for general purpose work it's a bargin.

If I had to recommend, I'd second Salas. By far the best budget scope. Four channels, dpo-like abilities, deep memory, etc. Some also like the DS2072A, because it can be hacked to include all options abd bandwidths up to 300MHz (though 300Mhz mode might be buggy).

When I considered the Rigol scope a few years ago the negatives I noticed were the screen colours seemed rather washed out and that the internal fan was a bit distracting. I bought another brand (Tekway) instead. That one's LCD backlight went on the blink so I replaced it - not with Rigol rather Owon for the much larger and clearer screen.

None of this is to imply you don't get a hell of a lot of scope for your money with the Rigol - it is the brand leader after all.

I have just got a DS1102.

I have a 42 VDC signal ( the rail voltage on an amp ). I want to see if there is any noise on it.... that noise will be over 70dB down.

How can I do this with the DS1102? There is a fixed limit to the vertical repositioning of the trace, so simply making the scale really small and moving position does not seem to work....

Anyone know how?

THANKS!

When hooking up the rigol to measure the power supply, can the ground clip be attached to the zero volt line? I got sparks trying that.
The ground clip is typically held at earth ground. This can cause issues for floating supplies where the zero volt line is not at zero volts with respect to earth ground. There are a lot of gotchas in reading power supplies with an oscilloscope due to the various voltages and currents involved and how they are referenced with each other or not. Many people choose to use a differential probe for the readings to provide extra protection. Sometimes, like on many SMPS it is a necessity.

Last edited:
The scope has a "green wire ground" in its 3 wire mains plug (Hot, Neutral and Ground). The Ground is connected to circuit ground in the scope. If the "ground" of the power supply that you measure connects to a source of voltage that has a low impedance referenced to green wire ground, you will get sparks.

There are ways to deal with that situation. mostly involving line adapters or isolation transformers for the scope. Of course, that can causes safety issues for the unsuspecting...the chassis of the scope could now be elevated to some high potential well removed from ground.

Bob Pease, in his book, "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits", page 25, in a Chapter called "Choosing the Right Equipment", lists #28 on his list:

"28. Line adapters - those 3-wire to 2-wire adapters for your 3-prong power cords. You need several of them. You only need them because too many scopes and function generators have their ground tied to the line-cord's neutral. You need some of these to avoid ground-loops. You also need a few spares because your buddies will steal yours..."

But, please, and most importantly, be safe when working with any high voltages, or if you are unsure of what is going on!

The scope has a "green wire ground" in its 3 wire mains plug (Hot, Neutral and Ground). The Ground is connected to circuit ground in the scope. If the "ground" of the power supply that you measure connects to a source of voltage that has a low impedance referenced to green wire ground, you will get sparks.

There are ways to deal with that situation. mostly involving line adapters or isolation transformers for the scope. Of course, that can causes safety issues for the unsuspecting...the chassis of the scope could now be elevated to some high potential well removed from ground.

Bob Pease, in his book, "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits", page 25, in a Chapter called "Choosing the Right Equipment", lists #28 on his list:

"28. Line adapters - those 3-wire to 2-wire adapters for your 3-prong power cords. You need several of them. You only need them because too many scopes and function generators have their ground tied to the line-cord's neutral. You need some of these to avoid ground-loops. You also need a few spares because your buddies will steal yours..."

But, please, and most importantly, be safe when working with any high voltages, or if you are unsure of what is going on!
This is an excellent point on a way to get around it.

Another thing to remember if you do this though. All of the ground clips are still tired together even if they are floating.

Thanks again, I think I will use a differential probe when doing this, just to be on the safe side. I have a QA190, from the makers of the QA400 distortion analyzer.

Bad news for you.
a) This probe has 2Mohm Impedance.
b) Is just CAT I 150V, when simply rectified 120V gets higher than that.

Therefore you need another one with better specifications for floating supplies, especially for measurements at primary and secondary too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.