Fluke multimeter Question - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2014, 07:21 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
LOL...Fluke will always be imitated...but NEVER duplicated! Now open a Fluke 87v...if you do not see a difference in quality....you must be blind
Actually, I have and I'm not blind nor am I a fanboy. As a scientist I've long trained my self to be objective and challenge personal prejudices. The difference in quality is minimal at best. If anything, the input protection on the Brymen is slightly better. I know its not what you want to hear but its the flat out truth. The fuses on the brymen are isolated, whereas on the Fluke the are free standing. Same with the input sockets, on the Fluke the board is cutout providing an air gap. On the brymen there is an additional plastic isolator inserted. There are more fusible resistors (Flukes only use one). The major difference is this one uses spark gaps instead of MOVs. Some people will prefer sparkgaps for their higher performance rating and lower capacitances (less attenuation of high frequency signals). Others will prefer MOVs for their higher action speed and the ability to select lower voltage cutoffs (good for meters with lower safety ratings). You can say "but...but...but its a FLUKE!" all you want. The fact is the 87V is a great all around meter, its accurate, its safe and its reliable. That being said its not the BEST at any one thing. There are more accurate meters (even within flukes own lineup), there are meters with better input protection and there are meters with similar build quality (ergo reliability). What you do get is the fluke name, easy access to replacement parts and a device everyone knows and loves.

Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 28th January 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 31st January 2014, 06:27 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
Actually, I have and I'm not blind nor am I a fanboy. As a scientist I've long trained my self to be objective and challenge personal prejudices. The difference in quality is minimal at best. If anything, the input protection on the Brymen is slightly better. I know its not what you want to hear but its the flat out truth. The fuses on the brymen are isolated, whereas on the Fluke the are free standing. Same with the input sockets, on the Fluke the board is cutout providing an air gap. On the brymen there is an additional plastic isolator inserted. There are more fusible resistors (Flukes only use one). The major difference is this one uses spark gaps instead of MOVs. Some people will prefer sparkgaps for their higher performance rating and lower capacitances (less attenuation of high frequency signals). Others will prefer MOVs for their higher action speed and the ability to select lower voltage cutoffs (good for meters with lower safety ratings). You can say "but...but...but its a FLUKE!" all you want. The fact is the 87V is a great all around meter, its accurate, its safe and its reliable. That being said its not the BEST at any one thing. There are more accurate meters (even within flukes own lineup), there are meters with better input protection and there are meters with similar build quality (ergo reliability). What you do get is the fluke name, easy access to replacement parts and a device everyone knows and loves.
You should watch a few of Dave's videos...He loves to " take it apart".
EEVblog #64 - Fluke 28 Series II Multimeter Review & Teardown - YouTube

Last edited by lanchile; 31st January 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 31st January 2014, 10:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
You should watch a few of Dave's videos...He loves to " take it apart".
EEVblog #64 - Fluke 28 Series II Multimeter Review & Teardown - YouTube
I actually post quite a bit on the forums on Dave's site. I'm very familiar with him.
Old 4th March 2014, 10:07 PM   #34
jblmar is offline jblmar  United States
diyAudio Member

To answer the OPs question. I'm using the 179 (Bought new in 2010) for all repairs that pass my bench. Very accurate in all functions.

Hide this!Advertise here!