Fluke multimeter Question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2014, 01:50 AM   #11
Banned

Have a look at the Agilent offerings.

I got a decent deal on a new U1272a that flew under the radar on eBay.

Some of the Fluke models may be a little over-rated these days. I don't think they are as superior compared to other brands as they may have once been.

That being said if I was a residential electrician or HVAC technician etc, I would likely have bought a fluke.

For the audio hobbyist however, I think there are other options worth considering.
Old 22nd January 2014, 02:30 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

You can not go wrong with Fluke!!! Get a used Fluke 87v.
I have a few Fluke multimeters and my favorite is the "old" Fluke 27FM
these Fluke 27FM were build for the USA military, These meters were build to last.... I have compared reading with my new 87V and they read the same. Save money and get the "old beast" Fluke 27FM (charcoal color). I have seen many in mint condition for $90USD
Old 22nd January 2014, 02:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
You can not go wrong with Fluke!!! Get a used Fluke 87v.
I have a few Fluke multimeters and my favorite is the "old" Fluke 27FM
these Fluke 27FM were build for the USA military, These meters were build to last.... I have compared reading with my new 87V and they read the same. Save money and get the "old beast" Fluke 27FM (charcoal color). I have seen many in mint condition for $90USD
The 87V had been mentioned and is definitely nice but pricey (though much more affordable when used). When talking about the best it's always going to be in the running. The best depends on the situation and intended use.

You didn't read the first post. He already has one fluke. He's looking for a second meter which is newer and has better precision and accuracy. So the fluke 27 while a deal is completely not what he wants.

Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 22nd January 2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:10 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
The 87V had been mentioned and is definitely nice but pricey (though much more affordable when used). When talking about the best it's always going to be in the running. The best depends on the situation and intended use.

You didn't read the first post. He already has one fluke. He's looking for a second meter which is newer and has better precision and accuracy. So the fluke 27 while a deal is completely not what he wants.

Well,a used Fluke 87v will do it then!. and to be honest here....every time I measure voltages I use my "old and trusty" Fluke 27FM. it reads the SAME...yes the SAME in all ranges as my "new" Fluke 87v!

PS: I would not "underestimate" the precision and quality of the old Fluke 27FM.

Last edited by lanchile; 22nd January 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

If you want something outstanding for trouble shooting then try finding a used Fluke 867b GMM. Yes dated, but has component test and Oscope mode, Have seen them for $200-300 on ebay. Mine was $700 new 15 years ago, have replaced batteries twice.

Has High Z 10gΩ mV input. Can set input impedance reference to 4 - 8 - 16 - 50 - 75- 300Ω. Component test, for quick go, no go testing. Oscope DC to 250kHz (interpolated to 1mHz). Logic test, low cap values (<10mfd I think), Diode test, True RMS 600v cat4 rated, blah blah blah.

Click the image to open in full size.

This still is my goto meter. Also did repair and calibration on virtually every brand out there. Fluke takes the tops, mil spec, sturdy and excellent cal retention.
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
If you want something outstanding for trouble shooting then try finding a used Fluke 867b GMM. Yes dated, but has component test and Oscope mode, Have seen them for $200-300 on ebay. Mine was $700 new 15 years ago, have replaced batteries twice.

Has High Z 10gΩ mV input. Can set input impedance reference to 4 - 8 - 16 - 50 - 75- 300Ω. Component test, for quick go, no go testing. Oscope DC to 250kHz (interpolated to 1mHz). Logic test, low cap values (<10mfd I think), Diode test, True RMS 600v cat4 rated, blah blah blah.

Click the image to open in full size.

This still is my goto meter. Also did repair and calibration on virtually every brand out there. Fluke takes the tops, mil spec, sturdy and excellent cal retention.
Wow, that is a nice piece of machine! I would not trust any other meter
that is not a Fluke...and I do not care if it is old or new, as long as is accurate
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Well,a used Fluke 87v will do it then!. and to be honest here....every time I measure voltages I use my "old and trusty" Fluke 27FM. it reads the SAME...yes the SAME in all ranges as my "new" Fluke 87v!

PS: I would not "underestimate" the precision and quality of the old Fluke 27FM.
So does my $20 DMM
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Wow, that is a nice piece of machine! I would not trust any other meter
that is not a Fluke...and I do not care if it is old or new, as long as is accurate
This is just not a rational statement.

You know that a lot of modern Flukes are Extech re-badges from China?
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:27 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Old 22nd January 2014, 12:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I found this comparison, I'll let you more qualified folks look it over to see what you think. Extech EX530 Details vs Fluke 87V Details in Digital Multimeters (DMM)

Hide this!Advertise here!