Fluke multimeter Question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:50 AM   #11
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Have a look at the Agilent offerings.

I got a decent deal on a new U1272a that flew under the radar on eBay.

Some of the Fluke models may be a little over-rated these days. I don't think they are as superior compared to other brands as they may have once been.

That being said if I was a residential electrician or HVAC technician etc, I would likely have bought a fluke.

For the audio hobbyist however, I think there are other options worth considering.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 02:30 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
lanchile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AREA 51
You can not go wrong with Fluke!!! Get a used Fluke 87v.
I have a few Fluke multimeters and my favorite is the "old" Fluke 27FM
these Fluke 27FM were build for the USA military, These meters were build to last.... I have compared reading with my new 87V and they read the same. Save money and get the "old beast" Fluke 27FM (charcoal color). I have seen many in mint condition for $90USD
__________________
Make it simple...Make it better!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 02:44 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
PedroDaGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
You can not go wrong with Fluke!!! Get a used Fluke 87v.
I have a few Fluke multimeters and my favorite is the "old" Fluke 27FM
these Fluke 27FM were build for the USA military, These meters were build to last.... I have compared reading with my new 87V and they read the same. Save money and get the "old beast" Fluke 27FM (charcoal color). I have seen many in mint condition for $90USD
The 87V had been mentioned and is definitely nice but pricey (though much more affordable when used). When talking about the best it's always going to be in the running. The best depends on the situation and intended use.

You didn't read the first post. He already has one fluke. He's looking for a second meter which is newer and has better precision and accuracy. So the fluke 27 while a deal is completely not what he wants.

Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 22nd January 2014 at 02:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:10 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
lanchile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AREA 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
The 87V had been mentioned and is definitely nice but pricey (though much more affordable when used). When talking about the best it's always going to be in the running. The best depends on the situation and intended use.

You didn't read the first post. He already has one fluke. He's looking for a second meter which is newer and has better precision and accuracy. So the fluke 27 while a deal is completely not what he wants.

Well,a used Fluke 87v will do it then!. and to be honest here....every time I measure voltages I use my "old and trusty" Fluke 27FM. it reads the SAME...yes the SAME in all ranges as my "new" Fluke 87v!

PS: I would not "underestimate" the precision and quality of the old Fluke 27FM.
__________________
Make it simple...Make it better!

Last edited by lanchile; 22nd January 2014 at 03:28 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Greebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of the Skyway
If you want something outstanding for trouble shooting then try finding a used Fluke 867b GMM. Yes dated, but has component test and Oscope mode, Have seen them for $200-300 on ebay. Mine was $700 new 15 years ago, have replaced batteries twice.

Has High Z 10gΩ mV input. Can set input impedance reference to 4 - 8 - 16 - 50 - 75- 300Ω. Component test, for quick go, no go testing. Oscope DC to 250kHz (interpolated to 1mHz). Logic test, low cap values (<10mfd I think), Diode test, True RMS 600v cat4 rated, blah blah blah.

Click the image to open in full size.

This still is my goto meter. Also did repair and calibration on virtually every brand out there. Fluke takes the tops, mil spec, sturdy and excellent cal retention.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
lanchile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AREA 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
If you want something outstanding for trouble shooting then try finding a used Fluke 867b GMM. Yes dated, but has component test and Oscope mode, Have seen them for $200-300 on ebay. Mine was $700 new 15 years ago, have replaced batteries twice.

Has High Z 10gΩ mV input. Can set input impedance reference to 4 - 8 - 16 - 50 - 75- 300Ω. Component test, for quick go, no go testing. Oscope DC to 250kHz (interpolated to 1mHz). Logic test, low cap values (<10mfd I think), Diode test, True RMS 600v cat4 rated, blah blah blah.

Click the image to open in full size.

This still is my goto meter. Also did repair and calibration on virtually every brand out there. Fluke takes the tops, mil spec, sturdy and excellent cal retention.
Wow, that is a nice piece of machine! I would not trust any other meter
that is not a Fluke...and I do not care if it is old or new, as long as is accurate
__________________
Make it simple...Make it better!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Well,a used Fluke 87v will do it then!. and to be honest here....every time I measure voltages I use my "old and trusty" Fluke 27FM. it reads the SAME...yes the SAME in all ranges as my "new" Fluke 87v!

PS: I would not "underestimate" the precision and quality of the old Fluke 27FM.
So does my $20 DMM
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Wow, that is a nice piece of machine! I would not trust any other meter
that is not a Fluke...and I do not care if it is old or new, as long as is accurate
This is just not a rational statement.

You know that a lot of modern Flukes are Extech re-badges from China?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:27 AM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
crippledchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: south east mo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:04 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
crippledchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: south east mo.
I found this comparison, I'll let you more qualified folks look it over to see what you think. Extech EX530 Details vs Fluke 87V Details in Digital Multimeters (DMM)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fluke 27FM multimeter. lanchile Swap Meet 0 16th October 2013 05:06 PM
Multimeter question: Old Fluke vs Extech EX330 Willakan Equipment & Tools 4 29th June 2013 03:43 AM
Bench Multimeter - Which one to get ? Fluke Agilent ? HP8903B Equipment & Tools 15 8th December 2012 07:57 PM
Fluke 75 Multimeter Problem jlovda Equipment & Tools 4 12th August 2010 11:44 PM
which is best multimeter in the world? Fluke or extech? boxedin Parts 40 4th January 2006 06:21 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2