Convenient USB based transistor tester - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2014, 07:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisfr View Post
The "secret Sauce " will be the SOFT ware. NO hard ware is good with out the Software. There are ways to lock the firmware up. Be reasonable and you will win.
As much as possible software based was the main goal from the start. This makes for simpler hardware and a much more flexible and easily update-able device. More features may even be added later with software.

And making it modular also allows adding even more features without changing everything.

There should be no need for extensive firmware, as most of the software can run on the computer, but I think there might be a need to have some mechanism to have the main software send some type of "macros' to the device, that would be run locally and send resulting data back. It seems there may be some usb delays in communication that could prevent the main software on the computer to manipulate in real time all the features on the device. I'm not certain about this, but I think our friend locky_z ran into such limitations.

This is a rather extensive project, and I think the more collaborators work on it, the better. The tester designed by locky_z has found a serious audience and this project goes beyond the features his tester has. I am really looking forward to getting this put together. I need this for my amp projects.
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:23 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Working on several projects, plus my regular work, doesn't leave much time to make fast progress on all projects.

I will want to use something like this described here for my amps projects, so I wish this could move forward at the same time.

I was thinking about this: Why not make it an open source project, just like many others, mostly software, but there are also hardware open source projects out there.

I have no experience in open source and coordinating such things. But I will do whatever I can.

Has anyone any interest in this project? With any experience managing/coordinating? And/or contributions to make?

This could end up as something to put on the diyaudio store, so it should be universal, well made and for anyone to use.

Hide this!Advertise here!