Comparing REW, ARTA and CLIO in speaker driver and acoustic measurements - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2014, 05:36 PM   #11
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

I notice that Le and dBSPL are the two which are most different. Why is this.... I would think these are the easiest to get right.

Next to the Z and frequency response and T/S parameters, I would be interested in distortion measurements? can you show distortion comparisons. Of course, the mic/preamp etc might be an unknown in the distortion tests.

-RM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 7th January 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 8th January 2014, 01:02 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Demian,

I will break in the driver and do measurement again.

My environment is not good. It is a small lab room in which 0.5 m far-field with time gating is okay for mid-high frequency band measurement. For low frequency, we do 5 mm near field. I may try measurement in outdoor environment.
Old 8th January 2014, 02:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I notice that Le and dBSPL are the two which are most different. Why is this.... I would think these are the easiest to get right.

Next to the Z and frequency response and T/S parameters, I would be interested in distortion measurements? can you show distortion comparisons. Of course, the mic/preamp etc might be an unknown in the distortion tests.

-RM
Efficiency of all calculations are nearly the same. We shouldn't see difference in predicated dBSPL's. I checked REW and LIMP about their TS parameters calculation. It seems LIMP assumes 2.83V for the dBSPL one. Since the driver is 4 Ohm, the number will be 2W/1m. It will be 3 dB more.

I just received minidsp UMIK-1 USB mic. Calibration file of the mic is available from minidsp. In contrast, I don't have an calibration for the CLIO mic. I can only do level calibration for it.
Old 8th January 2014, 07:31 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

WoW, This is some Great stuff !!!

Thank you for your efforts !!

Cheers !!

jer
Old 14th January 2014, 07:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Here is CLIO and REW+UMIK-1 SPL (1/12-octave) comparison of the Peerless 2.5" driver. They are practically identical.

It seems that REW + UMIK-1 can compete with the more expensive CLIO system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPL comparison.jpg (53.7 KB, 234 views)
Old 14th January 2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Why REW smoothed out the blue curve vs the red Clio curve? There was some different averaging parameter going on?
Old 14th January 2014, 08:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

REW was set to 256k and single sweep. I did try long and more sweeps (1M, 4). But the result did not change. The CLIO used 16 k chirp sequence, rectangular window and 4 times averaging. It does provide "higher resolution". I have not figured out why.
Old 14th January 2014, 07:55 PM   #18
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

How do they compare on distortion meaurements?

-RNM
Old 15th January 2014, 02:53 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Why REW smoothed out the blue curve vs the red Clio curve? There was some different averaging parameter going on?
I export raw data from CLIO and REW to text files. The files are imported by VacsViewer in order to use its smoothing function. This can eliminate difference between CLIO and REW smoothing algorithms.

As shown below, we still can see CLIO data is less smooth than that of REW. Do we need to worry about such differences?

I will do distortion next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPL raw cmp.jpg (71.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg SPL smoothing cmp.jpg (55.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 15th January 2014, 03:10 AM   #20
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Between 5K to 12K level difference I would care mostly.

Hide this!Advertise here!