DIY Router Table - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Router Table

Well, after a LONG time in the works I finally have finished my router table.
I am off to the hardware store to get longer screws to hold my router to the mounting plate.
I built the fence from 3/4" MDF & hardwood blocks for square.
I have another chunk of T-Track that I will sink in to the table so I can use a mitre gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT Close.JPG (289.3 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg RT Far.JPG (337.2 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by Einric; 5th January 2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 6th January 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like a good example of a shop-built unit that has 90% of the functionality of a commercial unit, at 10% of the cost. Leaving plenty left over for router bits, safety glasses, hearing protectors, etc.

I can't tell from the photos - is that anchored to the wall and supported by the wall; or is it a free-standing unit?

Does being open below the table top cause sawdust problems? I like the openness underneath for easy access to the router but don't like the way it sprays sawdust around the workshop - so my versions of this design get moved to the deck or patio behind the house when I use them. The version I use indoors has a "skirt" of scrap 1/8" paneling extending about 18" below the table top to help confine the sawdust to the area immediately under the router table - but it's definitely a pain when I make adjustments to the machine.

Dale
Old 6th January 2014, 09:31 PM   #3
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Einric,
Looks nice. A Feature that I find useful on the shaper I have is the ability to have the infeed fence a bit behind the outfeed fence. The outfeed is set exactly to the material after the cut, and the infeed being a bit back allowing the shaper to work as a jointer assuring a full cut. This is only used when running bits without bearings. Have fun...be careful.
Evan
Old 7th January 2014, 04:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I will be making an attachment point on the underside of the mounting plate for a 4" floor nozzle for my shop vac.
That way it will suck the dust straight out the gap on the router frame regardless of the bit size or the fence position.
The fence halves are not independent of each other since I only have 2 T-Tracks for the fence to slide in.
I may work out a slightly different design that could allow up to 1/8" offset on the outfeed since I would never "joint" a greater thickness than that in a single pass.
I do have a jointer but its from the 50's and it's wicked, one of them plug it in and take a step back things.
It's also nice that I can swing the arms underneath in and the table lays flat to the wall, it only sticks out 4" when collapsed.
Old 7th January 2014, 06:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einric View Post
It's also nice that I can swing the arms underneath in and the table lays flat to the wall, it only sticks out 4" when collapsed . . . .
Practical thinking for a small shop.

Quote:
. . . The fence halves are not independent of each other since I only have 2 T-Tracks for the fence to slide in.
I may work out a slightly different design that could allow up to 1/8" offset on the outfeed . . . .
You may find some good ideas, and even completely documented designs, for this and other jigs or fixtures at "RouterForums.com" { http://www.routerforums.com/ } I've built the push block at { http://www.routerforums.com/jigs-fix...h-block-4.html } and use it with my homemade dovetail/box joint jig.

Quote:
I do have a jointer but its from the 50's and it's wicked . . .
Be careful what you say about things from the 50's. Some of us may take it personally.

Dale
Old 7th January 2014, 11:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As in......my jointer is a finger chopper offer'.
I need some kind of rubber feet for the stand because it dances around the room and just the pressure of you pushing your stock across it it will slide around because of all the vibrations.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

very nice, when are you building mine lol
Old 8th January 2014, 12:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

My buddy actually built the table for my father to spec.
My dad was going to use it as a collapsible computer workbench but it was WAY too heavy for him and my mom to pick up.
As soon as I saw it and my dad offered it to me I knew exactly what it was going to become.
I have at least a half dozen projects requiring mortise & tennon joinery that I finally can complete.
Old 11th January 2014, 10:48 AM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einric View Post
As in......my jointer is a finger chopper offer'.
I need some kind of rubber feet for the stand because it dances around the room and just the pressure of you pushing your stock across it it will slide around because of all the vibrations.
Jointer should run smooth, even the little benchtops. Are you sure you don't have a bad belt, missing blade bolt, or something?

I like the way you have it up off the floor. Easy to sweep up.
Old 11th January 2014, 06:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oh, I know the belt is bad, it's the original one from 1952.
I will eventually pick up a link belt for it.

Hide this!Advertise here!