Finding a affordable hot air solder station for beginner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2014, 10:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default Finding a affordable hot air solder station for beginner

I am basically tired of visiting my campus all the time when i need to solder SMD components (and through-hole), so i think its time to buy one since they are at a pricelevel which is affordable.

I have been looking around on Aliexpress at brands such as Saike and Atten.

Ended up with this station, which is seems rather portable and not that huge on my office table:

Free shipping Saike 909d Hot air guns soldering station power supply 3 in 1 multi function 220V or 110V-in Electric Soldering Irons from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com

Any comments and recommendations? I dont want to exceed 130$ incl. shipping to Europe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 12:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Saike 898d or same models of other brands are cheaper. Ok-ish for hobbyist level works. imo
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 06:10 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Md
Some people have made them from Radio Shack desoldering irons and a fish tank air pump.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 06:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yongee View Post
Saike 898d or same models of other brands are cheaper. Ok-ish for hobbyist level works. imo
Im not expecting it to run for small batch production. Atleast 1-4 times a month.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 12:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
PedroDaGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
The 858D soldering station (under a variety of manufacturers, though atten is commonly mentioned) is well thought of at eevblog. It's consider a competent entry level hot air station.

Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 6th January 2014 at 12:27 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 12:54 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
I have an Aoyue 6028 that works fine for me. About $75 in the USA. Is that the sort of thing you are looking for?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 03:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
The 858D soldering station (under a variety of manufacturers, though atten is commonly mentioned) is well thought of at eevblog. It's consider a competent entry level hot air station.
Look pretty neat and the reviews are great. Plus its affordable.. 58$ incl. shipping.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 05:03 PM   #8
msb64 is offline msb64  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I picked up a 2 in 1 rework station last year, a GQ5200.
I had to open it up to replace a broken tie wrap on the pump assembly, so I decided to make a few other changes while I was in there.
After replacing numerous early failure brand x / no-name electrolytics on various audio, pc, video and power supply gear, I decided it would be a good idea to do the same right away on the rework station.
I also added a power kill switch, to allow for complete power shut down to the unit, after it has cycled itself off in its cool down stage.
I cleaned up and rerouted any wiring that needed it to be safe, as well as cleaned up a few suspect solder joints.

I also did something similar to an Atten APS 3005S power supply.
Routed and secured wiring in a safer configuration, cleaned up a few suspect looking joints, replaced no-name electrolytics with Nichicon pieces from Mouser, replaced the exhaust fan grill with a less obstructive one from an old pc power supply, and installed a quieter fan.

Something you might want to consider when picking up any low cost gear.
Sometimes the quality control and components used are not the best, but that is something a competent diyer can usually take care of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GQ5200.jpg (135.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg GQ5200 Mods.jpg (188.1 KB, 107 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 05:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I am not shocked if the components are garbage inside, that is taken into consideration as im coming from a lab only consisting of Weller. But is the unit still alive and working as it should?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb64 View Post
I picked up a 2 in 1 rework station last year, a GQ5200.
I had to open it up to replace a broken tie wrap on the pump assembly, so I decided to make a few other changes while I was in there.
After replacing numerous early failure brand x / no-name electrolytics on various audio, pc, video and power supply gear, I decided it would be a good idea to do the same right away on the rework station.
I also added a power kill switch, to allow for complete power shut down to the unit, after it has cycled itself off in its cool down stage.
I cleaned up and rerouted any wiring that needed it to be safe, as well as cleaned up a few suspect solder joints.

I also did something similar to an Atten APS 3005S power supply.
Routed and secured wiring in a safer configuration, cleaned up a few suspect looking joints, replaced no-name electrolytics with Nichicon pieces from Mouser, replaced the exhaust fan grill with a less obstructive one from an old pc power supply, and installed a quieter fan.

Something you might want to consider when picking up any low cost gear.
Sometimes the quality control and components used are not the best, but that is something a competent diyer can usually take care of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 05:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I might consider this instead: AT8586 Hot Air Rework Station
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hot air rework station merlin2069er Equipment & Tools 3 10th March 2014 05:03 PM
Solder station chrish Tubes / Valves 31 4th May 2013 11:28 AM
Hot Air Rework station in Montreal? forsakenrider Equipment & Tools 7 29th July 2011 08:22 PM
Soldering using hot air rework station Lorien Equipment & Tools 4 21st November 2010 11:27 AM
ersa solder station reddish75 Solid State 4 3rd December 2008 08:08 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2