Pomona 5519A Test Leads - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2014, 03:25 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
I haven't had any major issues with Chinese leads. Some are better than others, that being said the feel of these leads blows all of the others out of the water. The silicone cable makes a huge difference in usability. I would imagine that to get a silicone test lead from China it would be much higher than $4. Which at that point why not but the Pomona leads.
About where I am, that very pomona lead costs 40$ (Holy ****) and a silicone cable from china costs about 6$
Old 8th January 2014, 04:28 AM   #12
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDestiny View Post
About where I am, that very pomona lead costs 40$ (Holy ****) and a silicone cable from china costs about 6$
Look also for Brymen Silicone Gold Plated Test Leads on ebay.
Old 10th January 2014, 03:44 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Online at:

FRYS.com*|*Fluke
Old 10th January 2014, 08:27 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Look also for Brymen Silicone Gold Plated Test Leads on ebay.
I love Brymen stuff these are likely quite good as well. The main seller on ebay is a guy named Frank Tong is highly thought of on EEVBlog, he posts there under the name "iloveelectronics". His shop 99cent Hobbies (sellername is f-t-2000) is often recommended. He sources a lot of good stuff and then sells it from Hong Kong (where shipping is much faster than China Post).

Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 10th January 2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11th January 2014, 04:10 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Online at:

FRYS.com*|*Fluke
Had them in my hands on Thursday along with a set of double ended shrouded leads. Price mistake/ stocked on wrong peg, so the price on the second set was $13 instead of $8 on the shelf, irked me so I didn't buy either one.

I'm back to looking at Ebay and cheaper cables.
Old 11th January 2014, 06:56 AM   #16
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
I love Brymen stuff these are likely quite good as well. The main seller on ebay is a guy named Frank Tong is highly thought of on EEVBlog, he posts there under the name "iloveelectronics". His shop 99cent Hobbies (sellername is f-t-2000) is often recommended. He sources a lot of good stuff and then sells it from Hong Kong (where shipping is much faster than China Post).
I got TL175 on my 87V but I ordered the Brymen for the other DMMs. Pomona are great value at $13 if living in the U.S. Small things like heavy tangling leads can be an annoyance on the bench when much stuff is deployed during tests. Silicone leads are a world apart vs. normal ones. I especially dislike the mechanical memory of the lesser leads.
Old 11th January 2014, 08:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I just ordered a pair of premium leads with alligator clips for $5.50 shipped from HK. Couple times a year I make it to one of the big regional hamfests (started by radio amateur groups 50 years ago, now a mix of computer stuff in a swap meet setting, but still free for non business radio hams), and they often have all sorts of cheap used test gear.
Old 24th January 2014, 02:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post
I just ordered a pair of premium leads with alligator clips for $5.50 shipped from HK. Couple times a year I make it to one of the big regional hamfests (started by radio amateur groups 50 years ago, now a mix of computer stuff in a swap meet setting, but still free for non business radio hams), and they often have all sorts of cheap used test gear.
Leads arrived, not as flexible as silicone, but seem to work just fine. Insulated alligator clips snap on to probe tips via a small dip on the probe tip that retains them. Solid feel to the meter connection, but the shroud is same flex material as the wire, so its soft, but again seems to work fine.
Old 24th January 2014, 02:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
I got TL175 on my 87V but I ordered the Brymen for the other DMMs. Pomona are great value at $13 if living in the U.S. Small things like heavy tangling leads can be an annoyance on the bench when much stuff is deployed during tests. Silicone leads are a world apart vs. normal ones. I especially dislike the mechanical memory of the lesser leads.
I have the same set up:Fluke 87v with TL175 and in my Fluke 27FM(military version) I have the Pomona leads and to be honest...I like the Pomona better. yeah you can call me crazy for saying that But the Pomona feel much better and yes, the Pomona is owned by Fluke
if you press hard on the "shrouded" part where you connect the to input meter you will see and feel that on the TL175 is solid and can brake...but in the other hand the Pomona are way more flexible and will not brake as easily as the TL175.

You can see my short review here: DMM test probes!

Last edited by lanchile; 24th January 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 24th January 2014, 03:46 PM   #20
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

The Pomona 5898 leads seem almost identical to the 5519A leads except that the 5898 uses stainless steel and 5519A uses nickel plated Beryllium Copper for the probe tips. I would imagine the copper has lower resistance but the stainless is probably more durable.

Are there other differences I am missing? What would be the advantage of one over the other?

Hide this!Advertise here!