Jig to help soldering SMD components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I was searching for a jig that helped me soldering SMD components to the board but unsuccessfully was unable to find one. Specially when your are an older person with checking hands like me. So I decided if you do not find it built it. Checking my junk box and found some parts that allowed me to came out with this SMD holding down jig. It worked so good for me that I decided to share it with the diyAudio members.

To fabricate it I used a 1 x 8 inches aluminum strip and bent it like a square with one leg side cut out. Drilled a hole at the end of one of the leg and installed a 2 inches screw thru the hole and used one spring and holding it with a nut to applied pressure from the tip of the screw to the other side leg of the square. I think that a picture it is better than words specially when you are not a technical writer like me.
Attached are some pictures showing the final SMD soldering holding jig.

Attachments

• smd jig 002.jpg
    smd jig 002.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 224
Why are you not just gluing it? It's a common practice even on massive assembly lines. They even make glue specifically for holding down IC's, commonly called SMD glue. For some reason, it's often (but not always) red in color. Usually, the glue is heat resistant, doesn't eat the board, doesn't off gas and isn't conductive. Frankly, I think you can get by with a tiny dab of super glue just fine.

Hi,
I used glue but I didn't like it. With this just take few seconds to get it ready for solder. Just lay down the board with the SMD in placed and let the spring do the job. Simple and fast.

To each his/her own. There is no one way that is right or wrong. I was just posting an alternative.

I can think of few things more noxious than heated super glue.

I can think of MANY things but then again I work in a lab that has evacuated our building at work THRICE due to the smell.
j2xgwDMBDSsnVA69OtCogRQzID4UOTOFEwAHkGJSmhPzgRIAFU7lagXmBJGuXwEwEMPlz8AaBEagAjDrBQAkcUj5iCtQwK0FSzhciBsQADs=

To actually address your comment. We are talking a VERY small amount of super glue here. You aren't gluing it to make it survive all types of mechanical force. Just gluing it in well enough that it won't move when you try to solder it. A tiny dab will do it. Plus, the glue should be nowhere near the pins and your chip shouldn't be getting hot enough in the center to degrade the glue (unless you like killing chips).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.