Building A Really BIG Variable Tube Power Supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All;

I recently sourced on eBay a good condition mains transformer capable of the following: >

Input 0-240 Volts Ac @ 50 cycles.
Output 0-50-700-800-900 volts Ac at 3.5 amps continuous.
Size is aprox - 12 inches x 6 inches by 9 inches - using 2 large C-cores

Likewise I also got a large choke of around 0.25 henry at 2 amps, uses 2 large C-cores and measures about 8 x 7 x 8 inches.
Pictures are attached.

The transformer weighs about 35 Kg and the choke about 10 kg.

My intention is to build a massive bench power supply for testing transmitter tubes operating in audio mode.

A pair of 833a triodes in push-pull would require some 2,500-3,000 volts and at least 1 amp plate current. Similar figures would be found for other large power tubes.

From my calculations - the power transformer is around 3.2 KVA and able to deliver 2,520 volts Dc at aprox 2 amps continuous from a standard voltage doubler rectifier. Greater voltages ( with less current ) can be obtained with another stage of doubling and with a bridge rectifier a healthy 1 kv Dc at close to 3 amps can be supplied. Because of this capability I may adapt various rectifier combinations via some suitable switching to achieve these other outputs.

I have some NOS 3B28 Gas Rectifier Tubes, which 4 tubes in parallel ( 2 paralleled in one stage and 2 in another ) will deliver the required 2,500 volts at 2 amps when wired as a half wave voltage doubler, ( with peak load currents of 5 amps at a reverse voltage of 10KV. )

[ Because of the sensitivity and difficulty working with semiconductors at these voltages - personal experience talking here - I would prefer to not use semis and stick just with vacuum tubes. The reliability would be far greater under extreme operating conditions with using tubes. Size and weight is not a concern. ]

I also have a huge 15 amp / 240 volt variac which will control the mains input to the transformer - effectively making it a variable DC supply.

Adding the 0.25 H / 2 Amp choke and a suitable capacitor network, will clean up the DC as smoothed supply.

BUT;

I would though prefer to have a more conventional vacuum tube regulator tacked onto the output of the filter choke and use that as the variable Dc output rather than waste a good 15 amp variac on such a job.

Does anyone have any proven tube regulator circuits which will vary the output from say 500-2,500 volts at 2 amps Dc ?

As for the series pass tube, it too, has to handle the full 2 amps. If smaller tubes are used, ( maybe as a series of stacked regulators ) many will be required.

In reality - the whole unit will have to be rack mounted on castor wheels, as it will be way too big for a normal bench supply.

I have the the volt meters ( 3kv Motorola panel meter ) and current meters.
I have the rectifiers and some of the smaller parts.

I'm open to design suggestions.

Attachments

• 900v @ 3.5A Power Transformer.JPG
    900v @ 3.5A Power Transformer.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Large Transformer - Voltages.JPG
    Large Transformer - Voltages.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Larger Power Transformer.JPG
    Larger Power Transformer.JPG
    417.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Large Choke.JPG
    Large Choke.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Choke 1.JPG
    Choke 1.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 165
I also have a huge 15 amp / 240 volt variac which will control the mains input to the transformer - effectively making it a variable DC supply.

Adding the 0.25 H / 2 Amp choke and a suitable capacitor network, will clean up the DC as smoothed supply.

BUT;

I would though prefer to have a more conventional vacuum tube regulator tacked onto the output of the filter choke and use that as the variable Dc output rather than waste a good 15 amp variac on such a job.

Does anyone have any proven tube regulator circuits which will vary the output from say 500-2,500 volts at 2 amps Dc ?
Hi Kimbal S,
For variable DC output the variac will be much much simpler that the fairly extreme effort required to implement a series pass tube regulator. The regulator tube will need to be bigger than the tubes you are going to test!
Cheers, Glenn B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.