Replacing Hitachi 222 scope - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Replacing Hitachi 222 scope

I've had a Hitachi 222 for slightly over 30 years. Some days it just won't make a screen. Can't tell if it's the trigger circuit or HV. As much as I don't want to, it may have to get replaced. Having cut my teeth on analog scopes I'd like to stay with analog, but like the idea of being able to capture waveforms and save to usb.

I've used USB scopes to do live presentations and they're OK. For the bench scope I think I want to get a bench type DSO. I'd like to stay under $500. Any suggestions?
Old 30th August 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

craigslist has scopes in the 1-300 dollar range here in columbus ohio
Old 30th August 2013, 11:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just recently had a similar issue with my Hitachi V-425!

It came up with just a big fat unfocused blob on the screen that had no response to any of the controls after 30years of faithful service!!
It had appeared that there was an issue with the horizontal amplifier section.

So I took the covers off and re-seated every connector that I could get loose as well as the CRT socket and re-seated it too.

Fired it back up and Whaa-Laa it was working and I was back in business again.

I was devastated thinking that the thing had gone down and there was nothing I could do to fix it, But it all worked out!!

Give it a try I hope it works for you.

I have seen Tektronix 2465's go for cheap on Ebay.
But do try for one that is in working order and not just for parts.
One of those may be my next scope once I get some money saved up.
Quad trace to 350Mhz for less than $400 or so,and a digital cursor system, what a nice scope for cheap!!

Good Luck!!!

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 30th August 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 31st August 2013, 12:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Problem is when I buy a used 'scope I want a friend's beloved cast-off when he upgrades, not some stranger's intermittent impossible-to-calibrate headache with non-linear display and quirky behavior when it gets hot.

I wouldn't mind digital if the resolution is better than analog. But I want knobs, not up/down buttons. it sure seems like the reasonable way to have storage. I'd love it if it plugged into my high-perf laptop.

Worst 'scope was my old Heathkit. Took a month to assemble. Drifted around all over the place.

Some now have what I really need: truly well-isolated inputs. So I really can't damage it in the normal course of stupid things I might do.

And I want an assortment of probes, for any level from my car's ignition coil secondary to tube B+ to SS B+ to logic-level to background radiation noise.

I don't need exceptional UHF RF performance, but that translates into accurate display of the "sharp corners" or accurate harmonic content of lower-frequency fundamental frequencies.

I started a thread a log time ago trying to organize a group buy, but nobody can agree on what they want.
Old 31st August 2013, 12:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The truth is that I'd probably prefer the all-or-nothing personality of a digital 'scope. But I don't want a teensie display. And I don't want a monitor connector that's obsolete tomorrow.
Old 31st August 2013, 03:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

XYZ of oscilloscopes is a good read as it clears up the 3 different types of scopes available today.
I'm still learning how to use mine. I can see a trace and adjust it on the screen but don't really have a clue what it is telling me. LOL
Old 31st August 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsixis View Post
XYZ of oscilloscopes is a good read as it clears up the 3 different types of scopes available today.
So what is this "XYZ" publication, and why didn't you include a link to it?
Old 31st August 2013, 03:34 PM   #8
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

the cheap Rigol is quite usable if you want a benchtop 'scope

DS1052E 50 MHz Digital Oscilloscope | Rigol - Beyond Measure
Old 31st August 2013, 08:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My dad would sneer at the low speed, but it looks fine for audio and would suit me and it has knobs!
Old 31st August 2013, 09:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

https://www.google.com/#q=xyzs+of+os...pes+primer+pdf

written by Tektronix yes the link is a google search, the PDF file is the first link on that page, if I listed the PDF file it would download to my computer as it has several times in the last year that I learned of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!