Victors oscillators and the "rechargeable batteries" trick - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2013, 06:18 PM   #1
ghg is offline ghg  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default Victors oscillators and the "rechargeable batteries" trick

Well, 1audio showed us the trick to supply Victors osc. via a 26mA current source.
I did it and it worked well.

Then I wanted to use batteries to get rid of AC hum and groundloops and had the idea to use the current source as charger for batteries, see PIC_1, self explaining.

Five 9V blocks in series give 50,57V in theory ( 5 blocks x7 cells x1,45V ) at full load, but to be on the safe side 50V is enough.
You do want to charge 9V blocks with ca. C/10 - C/15, so 280mAh blocks will be fine. I adjusted the voltage at the input of the LM317HVT to 51.5V via diodes Dx,
much simpler as an additional regulator, then at full charge the charge current will settle at ca. 3mA, at this value ( ca. C/100 ) you may charge them forever without decrease in lifetime.

In case you want to scale down to four 9V blocks, you may use a plain LM317.

One hint, I ordered several cheap 9V blocks via "fleabay" from Asia, forget it, these gave capacities at about 30 to 60mAh, when rated as 300mAh blocks, bummer.
Then I ordered brand names, VARTA and GP, they did well. So, as often, go cheap and finally you'll get expensive ...

Regarding PIC_2:
Left top: Transformer & current source
Right: Victors 1k & 10k Osc.
Bottom: just a rotary switch to monitor each 9V block via a snap-in dig. voltmeter

BR

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_1.jpg (126.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2.jpg (208.4 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by ghg; 13th August 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 13th August 2013, 06:37 PM   #2
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

rechargable battery chemistries have different V, "9 V" batteries are built with different numbers of cells

a very popular "9 V" is 6 cell NiMH which may be only 7.2 V Nine-volt battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 13th August 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Right, so take care to get the 7 cell types, rated at 8.4V or just do the math and rescale ...
Old 13th August 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Aren't you missing a capacitor just after the rectifier? Otherwise you are supplying the LM317 with full wave rectified AC without filtering.
Old 13th August 2013, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Right, 1000uF/63V would be ok, and I used just a symbol for the rectifier, too, shame on me ...

Last edited by ghg; 13th August 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 29th August 2013, 09:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice looking project incorporating 2 of Victor's oscillators in box. Well thought out. Could we see the front panel?
Old 30th August 2013, 07:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here we are, and the little brother, Victors 20kHz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_1.JPG (97.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_2.JPG (124.4 KB, 108 views)
Old 1st September 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Very well laid out and thoughtful design.

I like the little brother too. Looks a little like mine. Cousins!

1Audio coached me with the current source power supply. This is a great little oscillator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0172.jpg (416.3 KB, 95 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!