Safeblock for US? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Safeblock for US?

Does anyone have a source for this QUICK Test Block - Safe Block Test Adaptor For Electrical Appliances Flexible Cables but in US version? It doesn't even have to be this exact item, but something similar.
Old 12th August 2013, 03:12 PM   #2
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

There is nothing particularly non-US about that. It does not come with a cable or plug - you have to supply them yourself and wire them in to the terminals inside. It just assumes live, neutral and ground. I suppose the internal neon might glow rather feebly on 120V, but you could always change the series resistor to boost it.
Old 12th August 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's not shown in this pic but other sources have the photo with a UK plug. Yeah, I can modify it but was hoping also to save $$ on shipping.
Old 12th August 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

It has two functions, one is as a temporary mains plug, and the other is as an outlet tester.

The outlet tester part is simple, any hardware store in America will have outlet testers. For example, Harbor Freight:
Electric Receptacle Tester

I always carry one in my kit. Tells you if outlets are live and if the wiring is correct.

I myself am not aware of a mains plug with clips in the USA, but it sure would not be a big deal to just screw a regular plug onto the end of some wires if I needed that function.
Old 12th August 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
I myself am not aware of a mains plug with clips in the USA, but it sure would not be a big deal to just screw a regular plug onto the end of some wires if I needed that function.
Yes, that was my thought too but the Safeblock opens the circuit when the lid is raised, and is fused. Of course I could construct something along those lines but it would be easier to purchase one.
Old 12th August 2013, 04:40 PM   #6
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl
It's not shown in this pic but other sources have the photo with a UK plug. Yeah, I can modify it but was hoping also to save $$ on shipping.
The description of that one says
Quote:
Please Note: The unit is not supplied with a mains lead or plug as in the picture above because the product is used for lots of applications.
so you won't be paying for the shipping weight of an unwanted UK plug. I suspect that most places will supply it without a plug, even if their photo shows a plug. If not, you could always ask them to remove and discard the plug before shipping.
Old 24th August 2013, 09:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Safeblock for US?

They have always been known as "safeblocks" in the UK and the original ones used to come without the plug and cable and were made to be mounted on a bench and were made by a company called Safeblock. The name stuck even for later ones made by other companies. I have two early ones from the 1960s that have both been fitted to wooden bases.
This one has seen a bit of action.
How easy is it to get 1 inch cartridge fuses in the United States?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8451.JPG (114.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8457.JPG (116.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 24th August 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Without telling us exactly what type that fuse is it's almost impossible to know. I buy lots of things from the U.K, shipping by Royal Airmail is generally quite quick and inexpensive. If it is made to an older British standard chances are it will be easier and cheaper to find there.

Standard fuses here are usually 1.25" or 20mm.
Old 25th August 2013, 01:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

They are 1/4 X 1.0 inches.
They are the same as a UK plug fuse.
Old 25th August 2013, 03:01 PM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not a common size here, but i would not be surprised to find Bussman probably makes them. I'd bring plenty of spares. The most common here are 1/4" x 1 1/4" and 5mm x 20mm.

Hide this!Advertise here!