reflow solder ovens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been trying to find an inexpensive reflow solder oven in order to solder surface mount components onto pcbs. I've done a whole lot of searching on the internet, and for about $500 I can buy a Chinese made oven that looks like it would work. I really don't want to buy from China. I found that someone used to sell a control that you plugged an oven into, but they are no longer in business - probably didn't work too well. There's a bunch of youtube videos showing building controls, but the time to build all of this, the cost and the time to write the software to monitor and control - well, way more than I want to do. I'm interested in building other stuff, not ovens.

I did find a guy in the US who is building ovens, based on a toaster oven. I have spoken with him, and he seems like he's on the right track in designing and building a reliable, quality system. He's doing this part time, and I'm waiting for delivery now. He has been building ovens for some time, and says that he hasn't had anyone with real problems with them. He's redesigned them to add some improvements. I'm not trying to sell these for him, but I know that I spent probably 6 hours or more looking for an oven or oven controller.

His price is going to be over $500US - he hasn't set it yet. His business is Bearbones Solutions, he's in Nebraska. You can find him on the net.

I hope this helps someone, I know it was frustrating for me that I couldn't find a US made oven or an easy way to solder surface mount components.

Elektor Magazine January 2006 and December 2007 had articles as well -- but they no longer sell the controller.

I use the toaster oven method when I do smt -- but I just visually observe what's going on -- when the solder flows I turn it off. Seems to work fine.

My rework station is from China and it's quite nice.

This biggest problem with ANY reflow oven is figuring out the temp profile required for the board. I looked into building one of those PIC/Arduino based reflow ovens from a toaster over and ultimately gave up as the farther you dig, the more you realize what your in for. and without an expensive temp profiler, you never really know where you are at....YMMV

Zc

you might be better off with a reflow machine, better control over temperatures and you always have visual line of sight to help, i have a jovy and its great, big learning curve until you get it how you want it but after a lot of practice i think its great, i also always run it manually as i found the slightest draught can affect the reflow/reball temperatures, profiles are great if you are in a lab thats has everything under control but for a hobbyist like me the hands on approach is always the best i find.

which means you dont have control of the temperature and can cook and kill all your components and plastics, with IR the plastics dont melt and fall over.
I am new on here and so i am not getting into a whats best argument, i only stated my opinion which is based on experience and not from watching utube.

I've done several projects using the toaster oven and SMD devices -- my True-RMS meter using the Linear Tech MSSOP devices, my analog phase meter (with all SMD components, TI cfb opamps and Intersil high speed transistors), a phono preamp with the JFETs hand soldered but everything else cooked 'til done in the toaster.

I wouldn't put a polystyrene capacitor in a toaster oven...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.