Sound Technology ST 1000A 10.7 MHz Marker Display - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
jblmar is offline jblmar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sound Technology ST 1000A 10.7 MHz Marker Display

Hello,
I've been viewing YouTube videos re FM Tuner Alignment. I'm not sure how to set and view the 10.7 MHz marker on the scope using the Sound Technology ST 1000A. Can anyone explain?
Thanks.
Old 25th June 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

No one?
Old 29th June 2013, 04:57 AM   #3
richiem is online now richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

Only suggestion I have is to get a manual. Usually the scope is used in X-Y mode and the markers show up as pips on the displayed curve.
Old 29th June 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you, DIck.
I have the ST 1000A manual. It only covers Dual Sweep, no mention of injecting a signal.
On YouTube, they show The 'S' curve, sweep and frequency injected to create the marker. I'm missing something.
Is it possible that the Dual Sweep function makes the sweep and marker unnecessary?
P.S. A few years ago I tried the Dual Sweep method outlined in the ST 1000A manual and my Marantz 2130 looked perfect. I would like to learn the method shown on YouTube for aligning other tuners.

Last edited by jblmar; 29th June 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 29th June 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
richiem is online now richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

I last used an ST1000A around 1980, in another life, so my memory is dim. I don't ever remember injecting 10.7MHz into the IF strip of a solid-state tuner -- just went through the RF input. I did this with McIntosh and Marantz and every other kind back then, because it was by far the easiest and most accurate.

But it is possible to inject the IF -- details will vary depending on the exact design of the IF stage. In the good old days of vacuum tubes, you could just connect the swept IF signal output to an ungrounded tube shield and drop it over the first IF stage tube, and voila -- signal at the detector.

See if the manual says anything about injecting IF. You could make sure the tuner is not tuned to a station, and use a small cap (1000pF?) to inject the 1000A IF sweep into the emitter of the first IF stage -- if you can actually get at it -- or perhaps into the mixer stage somewhere -- equally hard to access.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hide this!Advertise here!