Audio Precision for speaker measurements? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2013, 09:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Precision for speaker measurements?

Hello all!

I just bought myself an Audio Precision System One Dual Domain with the PCI computer interface card with interconnecting cable and got it running. This is the DSP version. Traded in my HP 8903A and some other instruments.

I started using it and found that it has a MLS Acoustic procedure, which is great! But it seems very basic. I have not found out if there is a way to do a MLSSA style cumulative spectral delay plot. Does anyone know how to do this? I imagine it could be done with some programming. Writing a script to move the start time forward in steps and making a 3D graph from that, but I don't know if the scripting environment supports 3D graphs. But I don't want spend more time programming in Basic than it would take me to write something from scratch in a real language.

I was also looking to do a anti-RIAA EQ to measure a phono stage. But it seems all very DIY and requiring a lot of programming in Basic to get anything done.

Perhaps there is a treasure trove out there with already programmed procedures?

Also I have read about a low noise mod - I am guessing it involves using some higher quality op-amps. Or is it something else? Any hard info on this?

Any pointers eagerly accepted!

Best regards,

P
Old 18th June 2013, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Braroe View Post
I was also looking to do a anti-RIAA EQ to measure a phono stage. But it seems all very DIY and requiring a lot of programming in Basic to get anything done.
Check the generator panel and manual, IIRC that's possible (it surely is with the later models).

Samuel
Old 18th June 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
wayne is offline wayne  United States
In the hills
diyAudio Member

Riaa is built in. On the gen panel select eq on the pull down and in the directory you should find several both pre emphasis and de emphasis.
Old 18th June 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I found how to do the RIAA pre and de-emphasis. Nice.

I am still working on the MLS acoustic test and how to make a waterfall. I hope I can write a Visual Basic procedure for this inside the APWIN tool. I haven't found any 3D graphing object yet though. I guess another option is to use the Matlab link. And yet another option is to use the external API and write something in C#. I am surprised that there is nothing ready made though.

I am also annoyed by the noisy fan on the front. Has anyone made a temperature regulator for it or replaced it with a quiet version?

I just tried out the procedure to check the impedance curve of a speaker, nice too. All in all I anticipate a lot of enjoyment from using my AP!

Best regards,

Peter
Old 16th August 2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Eric L is offline Eric L  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hello, Peter,

Have you found any c# resource about System One (APWIN) programming. I could only find one for AP2700.

Thanks,
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Braroe View Post
Thanks!

I found how to do the RIAA pre and de-emphasis. Nice.

I am still working on the MLS acoustic test and how to make a waterfall. I hope I can write a Visual Basic procedure for this inside the APWIN tool. I haven't found any 3D graphing object yet though. I guess another option is to use the Matlab link. And yet another option is to use the external API and write something in C#. I am surprised that there is nothing ready made though.

I am also annoyed by the noisy fan on the front. Has anyone made a temperature regulator for it or replaced it with a quiet version?

I just tried out the procedure to check the impedance curve of a speaker, nice too. All in all I anticipate a lot of enjoyment from using my AP!

Best regards,

Peter
Old 17th August 2016, 03:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter
The AP BASIC (scripting) will do this. Write a single sweep. INC the start time var, sweep again, and up to x Time.
1. Make a TEST. save it
2.Write the procedure. Open test, Append test, run test, INC T,run test X TIMES, save test with new name.
The plot will show the waterfall with different colors.

I do know that my short overview may lead to many other questions. I have about 30 years of AP usage.
Duke

OOPS: Replace it with a new one. DON'T REMOVE IT. There are many HOT SPOTS inside and it would need many thermal sensors to work. The design was made to have a small flow of cool air @ all times. I worked for AP for many years.

Last edited by Audio1Man; 17th August 2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 8th June 2017, 06:45 AM   #7
pab is offline pab  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello again!

So I finally got around to really starting to use the AP, world record in slow progress! But it seems AP no longer has all the files available for System One on their website, or am I not remembering it right?

Specifically there should be a file called a-a_riaa.at1 somewhere, the F1 help key mentions it, but I cant' find it anywhere. Also I remember seeing something downloadable that would allow me to generate a MLSSA style "waterfall" but I can't find that either.

Is there a AP repository somewhere for older System One files?

Best regards,

Peter
Old 8th June 2017, 07:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Hello again!

So I finally got around to really starting to use the AP, world record in slow progress! But it seems AP no longer has all the files available for System One on their website, or am I not remembering it right?

Specifically there should be a file called a-a_riaa.at1 somewhere, the F1 help key mentions it, but I cant' find it anywhere. Also I remember seeing something downloadable that would allow me to generate a MLSSA style "waterfall" but I can't find that either.

Is there a AP repository somewhere for older System One files?

Best regards,

Peter
There is a 'legacy' area on the AP website but it is not easily to find...

Jan
Old 8th June 2017, 09:15 AM   #9
pab is offline pab  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello!

Do you know where to look? I tried googling with site:ap.com legacy and site:ap.com "system one" riaa but I only find the search dialog with the "standard" stuff like:

https://www.ap.com/software/utilities-projects-macros/
https://www.ap.com/software/configuration-files/

No file that might contain a-a_riaa.at1 - I seem to recall loads more downloads before!? It would be annoying to have to write test procedures again for everything when they exist already...

Thanks for the pointer though!

Peter
Old 8th June 2017, 03:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter & All
Join LinkedIn, Classic AP Audio Systems Group LA
Post your questions and many real users may be able to help you.
I worked for AP for several years and provide service and programming.
Look also @ SOUND LOGIC LA ... this may also help.
I can also send some old canned AP tests that you cant find.
Duke

Hide this!Advertise here!