Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 08:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default hp8903a repair needed

Hi,
I have an hp8903a audio analyzer that does not display the proper voltage reading on input signals. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience in this area?
I have the schematics and can start poking around. I do not have board extenders which would make this task a little easier. The meter is way off so i don't think its a simple adjustment. Using a fluke it seems the output at least is accurate,
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

If you don't have the full service manual, get it. Check at agilent.com. If it's not there try the "boat anchor manuals archive" (BAMA) site.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i have the full service manual.
Old 6th May 2013, 02:26 PM   #4
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

At the input are a series of attentuators and a series of gain stages, each of which may be switched in or out depending on the detected signal level. You can check the level at each stage to determine where the level goes wrong. The service manuals are great, they have procedures to troubleshoot just about every circuit, including the inputs. Follow the check procedures! They include the use of special codes which override normal operation, and they describe what you should expect to measure at various test points, have frequent references to the schematics, and even suggest where to look for a fault when some test point doesn't measure right.
Old 7th May 2013, 12:04 PM   #5
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

You won't need the riser card. Many of the test points and adjustments are located at the top of the board for easy access. Internally all boards plug into the chassis sort of like how PCI cards plug into a motherboard. If there is a test point that is obscured, you can remove the board (input board), attach some wires to the test points, and replace the board. You can then power up and take the measurements from those leadwires.
Old 7th May 2013, 12:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok I'll give it a try. hopefully tonight.
I'll let you know the results.
BTW my email is barrybeadman@gmail.com I live a little west of Ottawa in Almonte.
I build Tube Amps for one of my hobbies which is why i need this thing. I've been dying for an audio spectrum analyzer and its almost within my grasp. all i need to do is fix this and find an HPIB interface card/dongle.

Hide this!Advertise here!