FLUKE New 87III or used 87 V for same price? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2013, 03:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question FLUKE New 87III or used 87 V for same price?

Hello guys! I have the chance to get a "new" in the box Fluke 87 III or a used but in excellent condition Fluke 87 V for the same price that is $200.
I like the idea of knowing that I have a "new" Fluke multimeter. I know the 87 V has more futures, but in reality I will not use them. I saw a post from fluke that some USA soldiers in Afghanistan had problems with the "extreme" heat 130 F and they used the Fluke 87 III but with all this heat they had to cool down the meter since it got the display all black after the meter got a little cooler the meter worked fine(I will try to find the post from Fluke). then they try the 87 V at 130 F and worked without any problems. I know I am not going to work with it at that temperature but it will feel good to know it can work at really high temperature too. So my question is: Should I go for the brand new 87 III or the used but in excellent condition 87 V?
Old 4th April 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found the post from Fluke! Fluke tools weather Iraqi heat - Tales from a Fluke user
Old 4th April 2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Don't be afraid of 87V if used in excellent condition. Its very rugged and holds cal well so not to consider some service hours as a negative. The only consideration would be if the "lifetime" warranty is transferable or not. V is more versatile than III. III can be trim pot calibrated when V needs Fluke coding is another difference.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nope! the warranty is not transferable in either one, the 87 V just come with probes. I know I will be happy with either one. Time to decide!

PS: I find trim pot calibration is more "reliable" than digital.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is you can do it yourself if having the proper Vref described in the service manual.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Chief Moderator

III has no temp mode and its 4000 count than 6000 count in low res mode also. 5uF for III 10mF range for V.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have seen and heard that Fluke meters 10 years old and over can hold the same and exact calibration as new ones. Do you think $200 is a good price for a "new" 87 III or 87V in excellent condition?
Old 4th April 2013, 04:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Excellent price. Its half the US usual list price for new 87V. You would be falling off your chair if checking out the import pricing in EU. You can get a brand new 87V with warranty to register on yourself from Amazon at $325.44 and free shipping is the best non used USA market option.
Old 4th April 2013, 05:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Salas! I guess in your country is way more expensive these meters. I saw some meters made in Germany, they are more expensive than the 87 V!!!
Old 4th April 2013, 05:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Typical brand new 87V price in Germany is circa Euro500 the EU reference market pricing. Another example: Fluke 87-V Industrial Multimeter - FLUKE | eBay
Now translate that to dollars and be super happy with the USA Fluke pricing.

Hide this!Advertise here!