diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   FLUKE New 87III or used 87 V for same price? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/233427-fluke-new-87iii-used-87-v-same-price.html)

lanchile 4th April 2013 03:12 PM

FLUKE New 87III or used 87 V for same price?

Hello guys! I have the chance to get a "new" in the box Fluke 87 III or a used but in excellent condition Fluke 87 V for the same price that is $200.
I like the idea of knowing that I have a "new" Fluke multimeter. I know the 87 V has more futures, but in reality I will not use them. I saw a post from fluke that some USA soldiers in Afghanistan had problems with the "extreme" heat 130 F and they used the Fluke 87 III but with all this heat they had to cool down the meter since it got the display all black after the meter got a little cooler the meter worked fine(I will try to find the post from Fluke). then they try the 87 V at 130 F and worked without any problems. I know I am not going to work with it at that temperature but it will feel good to know it can work at really high temperature too. So my question is: Should I go for the brand new 87 III or the used but in excellent condition 87 V?

lanchile 4th April 2013 03:20 PM

I found the post from Fluke! Fluke tools weather Iraqi heat - Tales from a Fluke user

Salas 4th April 2013 03:35 PM

Don't be afraid of 87V if used in excellent condition. Its very rugged and holds cal well so not to consider some service hours as a negative. The only consideration would be if the "lifetime" warranty is transferable or not. V is more versatile than III. III can be trim pot calibrated when V needs Fluke coding is another difference.

lanchile 4th April 2013 04:10 PM

Nope! the warranty is not transferable in either one, the 87 V just come with probes. I know I will be happy with either one. Time to decide!

PS: I find trim pot calibration is more "reliable" than digital.

Salas 4th April 2013 04:16 PM

Is you can do it yourself if having the proper Vref described in the service manual.

Salas 4th April 2013 04:18 PM

III has no temp mode and its 4000 count than 6000 count in low res mode also. 5uF for III 10mF range for V.

lanchile 4th April 2013 04:34 PM

I have seen and heard that Fluke meters 10 years old and over can hold the same and exact calibration as new ones. Do you think $200 is a good price for a "new" 87 III or 87V in excellent condition?

Salas 4th April 2013 04:51 PM

Excellent price. Its half the US usual list price for new 87V. You would be falling off your chair if checking out the import pricing in EU. You can get a brand new 87V with warranty to register on yourself from Amazon at $325.44 and free shipping is the best non used USA market option.

lanchile 4th April 2013 05:10 PM

Thanks Salas! I guess in your country is way more expensive these meters. I saw some meters made in Germany, they are more expensive than the 87 V!!!:eek:

Salas 4th April 2013 05:22 PM

Typical brand new 87V price in Germany is circa Euro500 the EU reference market pricing. Another example: Fluke 87-V Industrial Multimeter - FLUKE | eBay
Now translate that to dollars and be super happy with the USA Fluke pricing.