Multimeter for laser adjustment for Pioneer CD Player PD-S503 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
oszkar is offline oszkar  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Multimeter for laser adjustment for Pioneer CD Player PD-S503

Hello!
I know of the lasers in DVD-s can be adjusted with a multimeter at 1.00v normal value with a 20kohm value set on the multimeter!
Can anyone tell me if I can do the same thing and how on a PD-S503 Pioneer CD Player?
It has too many screws and pots to adjust values!
Thanx!
Old 14th March 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

You need to follow the adjustment procedure described in the service manual. It can be found here:

PIONEER PD-S503 SM Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
Old 14th March 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have the SM don't know how to read it and i do not have sadly an oscilloscope, 10Mhz or atleast recommended 50Mhz or better, above.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I want to know wich pot is it, where is it, how to place the probes and what value do I have to bring it to.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Normally the laser (power) should not be adjusted. You can destroy the laser by attempting to do it. If the player does not read CDs then the problem could be somewhere else. Find the eye pattern test point on the PCB (again, it should be in the service manual), attach an oscilloscope, and.... follow the instructions. There is no easier way. I don't know Pioneers, but some CD players have self test function that helps you narrow down the problem. What is the actual issue with your CD player?
Old 14th March 2013, 12:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

At first it skipped reading track no.1 try, retry, retry, dead point disc spinning, end posibility to retry play of disk available. I have fiddled with the radial direction screw on the laser cart and now it work fine and skips like originaly adjusted Pioneer CD-players, timing enstablished by ear as I had a PD-7700 last year adjusted in Wien 70Euro, but my question is not to have an uneaven voltage at one possible to be measured pot as I could take action into it with a multimeter and have it brought within the corect parameters. I know it sounds idiotic but since i have it here, why not.
Old 14th March 2013, 01:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh, and the lens fell off when I have received it because of the transportation or maybe it was already a fall-down part before the transportation! anyways i have cleaned it thoroughly and softly with an and technical alcohol and afterwards with a dry clean ear coton swab stick, after wich I have placed it back in it's original position and placed around almost one half of a very good supergle at a thin film layer thickness allaround with the tip of a straight small electronist screwdriver, and waited to dry. Afterwards came the adjustment process uppon it for it to be had done!
Old 14th March 2013, 01:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

BTW the grease is dry too! Where should i put some, other than the guiding rod?!
Old 14th March 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The small dented motor cilinder, that spinns to drive the laser cart back and forward?!
Old 17th March 2013, 07:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Found and will use where needed plastic silicone.

Hide this!Advertise here!