QuantAsylum QA400 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2013, 11:03 AM   #121
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
If power is a problem, why not use an external powered USB-splitter?

Arne K
Old 14th April 2013, 06:56 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

There is differences between USB Cables, I have tried a lot of USB Cables in a project with a 3G dongle, almost all of the cheap cables doesn't work so well.
I bought a 3 meter USB Cable it was a kind of Heavy Duty super esoteric type, it works very welll no problem with the 3G dongle thats runs very hot, so I presume it needed almost all power from USB port and this cable delivered it.
I took apart one of the El Cheapo USB and I must say it was just crap, very thin wires and also bad connections to the USB connector.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:10 PM   #123
jgray is offline jgray  United States
diyAudio Member

I am generally very pleased with my QA400, although I also experienced a couple of timing related issues. To try and resolve it, I did a couple of things: deleted unused applications, turned off McAfee anti-virus while running, and I think most importantly I changed the priority of the QA400 application from Normal to High. This can be done in Task Manager by right clicking on the process. You might want to give this a try. I have shared this with the developers and suggested they make it a setting that is user controlled. I will continue to test the unit, but as of now it is running great, and I am really pleased with the performance.
Joel
Old 17th April 2013, 12:08 AM   #124
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Good solid info. Thank you. Something else to try.

-RNM
Old 17th April 2013, 07:51 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

I thought of something else, haven't checked it out but want to mention it anyway.

The QA wants at least 300mA/5V from the USB port I understand.
I believe that with respect to power, some USB ports are set up to provide a maximum of 100 or 200mA and there are high-power ports that can provide up to 500mA.
I remember this because long time ago I had a USB gadget that required a lot of current and actually had two USB cables so it could be connected to two ports for power purposes.

I find it very strange that my QA works perfectly on one USB port and gets lots of drops on another, on the same machine.
Could this be related to the available current at each port?

jan
Old 17th April 2013, 08:05 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Exactly. This can indeed be a problem. The project I was involved in also ran into issues like this. Our Taiwan HQ bought some Chinese USB cables which didn't work at all. As you say, they were likely cheap.

Looking at the pictures posted by Jan, I guessed that they might use the Cypress High speed USB chip. One thing that did I did notice and thought about was the position of the USB connector relative to the Cypress chip. Long PCB tracks that will require some carefully routing in order to not hurt the signal integrity. I guess they have reused the enclosure from one of their other products.

Mogens
The fact is that mine (and others) work perfectly with the same pcb layout (obviously) and same cable, just by relocating to another USB port on the same machine.
That pretty well excludes the PCB layout, cabling and drivers as a culprit I would say.

jan
Old 17th April 2013, 09:24 AM   #127
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Typing this from my lab PC, which I just tested the QA400 on. This is redicuous. It doesn't work here either, which it did last time I had it connected to this computer.

Mogens
Try this The USB Oblivion Open Source Project on Ohloh (it may help )
Old 17th April 2013, 09:32 AM   #128
FdW is offline FdW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My QA400 worked correctly on the 3rd PC (AMD Win7/32) only after changing to a different USB cable (the one in the box did not work at all) maybe the other (earlier) tested machines will also operate with the different cable but I do not mind, the 3rd machine was the lab-PC.
Old 20th April 2013, 04:59 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
The fact is that mine (and others) work perfectly with the same pcb layout (obviously) and same cable, just by relocating to another USB port on the same machine.
That pretty well excludes the PCB layout, cabling and drivers as a culprit I would say.

jan
Got a powered USB hub from Conrad, has 1A per each port available.
The QA400 is now stable, no drops, independent of whichever USB port I connect the hub to.
Problem solved; looks like a power issue to me.

jan
Old 20th April 2013, 05:37 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Mine works on a Windows 8.
I fist open the program and THEN i connect the USB cable.
When the USB cable is already connected i have to unplug and plug it or the USB does not connect.
Otherwise no problems.

Hide this!Advertise here!