QuantAsylum QA400 - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2014, 04:03 PM   #1001
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The problem with Win 7 and 8 vs. XP is the hardware to software connection changed and the sound subsystem is completely different.

There really is no reason an XP system dedicated to measurement can't be left frozen into the future. I sure hope it won't be a problem. We have a $120K scope that runs XP internally and Tek's upgrade path is another $120K.

Software that needs direct hardware connections like QA may not work well in the different platforms. Software like Liberty Instruments Praxis, that uses the sound subsystem in Windows XP does not work well in Win 7 or 8 since the sound subsystems are so different. The emulation doesn't manage that well. I have similar issues with some GPIB stuff I have.

Another option may be to use dual boot to have both OS's on the same box. SSD's are cheaper today and really make rebooting a minor inconvenience.

If you want real pain, try getting a Mlssa DRA Laboratories - MLSSA Acoustical Measurement System system running under any of these new OS's. There are many speaker designers still using this system.
Old 5th March 2014, 04:06 PM   #1002
skidave is offline skidave  United States
diyAudio Member

I just purchased a Win 7 Pro laptop from a company that sells a lot of hardware (starts w/ D and ends w/ L) for $399 (without office package). It trumps my 10 year old laptop, but is not the best you can purchase. But for $399, it was a good purchase.

I agree, Win 7 PRO and I think Ultimate have the XP mode option. A bit cumbersome, but useful.

Dave
Old 5th March 2014, 08:07 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdW View Post
Your best bet (I think) is Windows 7, but you need to invest in a new PS/Laptop and that hurts. You may be stuck between a rock and a hard place

Between a Rock and a Hard Place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Man, you must be joking. A good laptop is hundreds of dollars. I bought my wife a super nice one and it was about $1,500!!!

So no, I'm not buying a new laptop just because QA decide to no support XP any more.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:46 PM   #1004
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post

If you want real pain, try getting a Mlssa DRA Laboratories - MLSSA Acoustical Measurement System system running under any of these new OS's. There are many speaker designers still using this system.
I have that card in a lunch box 486 cpu. I aint changen nothin. It will stay XP for ever. When it breaks, I'll throw it in the garbage can and - if I still think I want MLS etal, buy a new WIN 8 version from somewhere. I just hope MS doesnt change the basic structure of WIN8 into something totally new OS again... for at least 10 years.

Thx-RNMarsh
Old 5th March 2014, 09:15 PM   #1005
jcga is offline jcga  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I have that card in a lunch box 486 cpu. I aint changen nothin. It will stay XP for ever. When it breaks, I'll throw it in the garbage can and - if I still think I want MLS etal, buy a new WIN 8 version from somewhere. I just hope MS doesnt change the basic structure of WIN8 into something totally new OS again... for at least 10 years.

Thx-RNMarsh
Hum, are you sure your lunch box with the MLSSA card is runing Xp ? I'm afraid it's limited to Win 98 to get the DMA working...

Best
Jean Claude
Old 6th March 2014, 12:44 AM   #1006
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

A little OT but interesting Shiba Soku AH 87A automatic Audio analyzer -FS being offered on eBay Shibasoku AH 87A Audio Distortion Analyzer Working Unit | eBay Its a Shibasoku audio analyzer, a step below the 725, but has some desirable features like no autonull and it seems a larger null band so with a little help it could be tweaked. It may be a perfect front end for a QA400. The circuitry could be really linear and the null depth would not be a limiter for a QA400 (or other FFT analyzer) The transformers are probably really good.

I need to stay away. I have 7 distortion analyzers already and need to get rid of some of them. You can see pic's of the insides both on eBay and here at DIYaudio.
Old 6th March 2014, 01:34 AM   #1007
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Um, no. The newer OS's from MS are huge. I "only" have 2GB of ram on this machine. Man, I remember when 4MB was a lot!

I assume this means that since I'm not "upgrading" to the latest OS from MS, then I should not also ever upgrade the QA400 software, since it does work with XP right now?
I keep a copy of each right from beta1. Can always go back if like.
Old 6th March 2014, 03:09 AM   #1008
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcga View Post
Hum, are you sure your lunch box with the MLSSA card is runing Xp ? I'm afraid it's limited to Win 98 to get the DMA working...

Best
Jean Claude
98? Yes. It's a 98! The XP is another portable I have dedicated to something else.... same story for both -- in the garbage can it goes as soon as it blows itself up one day. But, I havent turned it on in years.... might not work the next time I drag it out.

-RM
Old 6th March 2014, 05:26 AM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post

Thx-RNMarsh
Richard, the way I understand it is that W8 is basically a W7 in a new skin, and that it - with some manipulation - can even be persuaded to act and feel like W7.
So going from W7 to W8 might be relatively painless. Anybody else know about this?

Jan
Old 6th March 2014, 05:43 AM   #1010
diyAudio Member

The audio driver model is indeed the same. FWIW, my EMU 1212m and 1820m work on Windows 7 and Windows 8 just fine. There are a few quirks to get around with the EMU stuff but hey, they are discontinued products which had buggy software to begin with.

Most hardware that can run XP can run Windows 7. You can run it with 2 GB of RAM but I can't promise you won't be hitting the pagefile often.

Windows XP is so bad I weep for anyone still forced to use it on a daily basis.

Windows 8 is actually a little snappier than 7. Upgrade is relatively painless but I would never upgrade the OS out of old habit, I always do a clean install.

Hide this!Advertise here!