Time-view of distortion residual - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 12:20 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Bils Distortion Isolation also works with music as stimulus :
Distortion Isolation in the Time Domain
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:21 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

You can put the undistorted music on one channel of a headphone and the distortion residual on the other channel.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:23 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Joachim,
I haven't yet subscribed to Linear Audio but intend to this month. I would love to read about this test. I am like you not interested in commercially available speakers, I have yet to measure one that I would use, that and the fact that I am developing my own. I really think you would like what I am doing, it is many years of gathered information and no corners are being cut in the name of costs. I had to develop my own cone material and magnetic circuit to do what I am doing and now I am being challenged by a co-developer to do the same with a new spider material development. Trying to get away from the Phenolic cloth spider phenomena of having a constantly changing value over time due to the micro cracking of the phenolic.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:41 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Good luck. Designing speakers you can not learn. You have to be born for it.
By the way my test can be used with electronics too so back on topic.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:43 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the link to the article on the distortion measurement. I appreciate it and am printing it out to read as I write.

ps. How are your speaker enclosures working out, they were very impressive the way they looked?
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:47 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

The Satoris ?
I listen to them all the time. I am very happy with the performance of the cabinets.
They are light weight, stiff and well damped.
I am not a fan of heavy weight. There is something wrong in the sound. For me it sounds like energy storage. Like " OUMPF; OUMPF; OUMPF".
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:52 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yes,
I would guess that a heavy mass material with thick cross-section would have a longer time constant to dissipate the stored energy, rather than the opposite lower mass thinner section that would have a much quicker energy dissipation and less storage of energy.
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:00 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I also think that a super heavy cabinet brings a lot of sound back through the cone.
To damp the internal sound or convert it totally into heat is an illusion. I measure 140dB inside a cabinet when i measure 90dB before the cone from the outside.
Hell breaks loose inside a cabinet.
You can of cause use metal or other very heavy cone materials but then sensitivity goes down the drain. I would say the less damping the better provided that the linearity of the frequency response is not compromised. I hate a sound that is hollow or nasal.

Last edited by Joachim Gerhard; 3rd March 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:02 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Conventional crossovers have a lot of energy storage too. It does not come easy.
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:04 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Here is a classic :
Stored_energy_2

Hide this!Advertise here!