Sound Technology 1700B - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2013, 11:23 PM   #1
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sound Technology 1700B

I have a Sound Technology 1700b but no input cable. What is the correct cable to use, the book says "twisted pair", make it or buy it?

Craig
Old 10th February 2013, 10:54 AM   #2
PChi is offline PChi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No one else has answered so my best attempt is to make it yourself. Unless you need the best common mode noise rejection when twisted pair with an overall screen would be best.

I think that the input connections are just 4 mm terminal post sockets. Possibly the spacing is the 'standard 0.75 inch' so a 'BNC female to double stacking banana plugs adaptor' could be useful for testing single ended equipment. Common mode noise, apart from mains harmonics, is usually not a problem (grosss generalization).
Old 10th February 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

If you use its balanced capabilities, you need indeed a shielded twisted pair.

If your sources are mainly unbalanced, you can use shielded or coax cable, and strap the (-) and ground posts.
That is the configuration I use myself in 99%+ of cases
Old 20th February 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

I found a cable that should just fine- Pomona #1167-36, getting one from Mouser.

Craig
Old 13th December 2013, 04:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

How do you like the 1700b? I have a chance of picking one up and wondered what you thought of it. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I like it, but be sure to test it properly before you buy, because some of the parts do not age very well: the carb comp resistors, switch contacts, analogue optocouplers, potentiometers, etc.

Make it measure its own THD on the most sensitive scale: if there are such issues, they will generate extra noise, and the measurement floor will be too high
Old 13th December 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a 1700b also. When working, they are very nice instruments. The only complaint would be the size. They eat up a lot of work bench space. But the are capable instruments and seem to work well.
I like that the calibration procedure can be done without any expensive , rare equipment. It pretty much uses itself to calibrate itself. A good voltmeter, frequency counter and oscilloscope is all that is needed.
But if it isn't working, they are a bear to work on. Depending on which options it has, it can be difficult to get to the bottom side of the boards. The manual suggests for most repairs you cut the leads of the bad component on the top side and tack the new part to the remnants of the leads. For some parts that is not possible. Getting the boards out so you can work on them can be done, but it requires patience. Take careful notes and pictures, because none of the manuals I have found online show the board interconnects very well.
Check that the oscillator works in the low distortion setting. When you switch it to this position, it should turn off the LED and settle in. If if clicks back and forth from fast response to low distortion, then you have some work to do. Hopefully just an alignment, but the circuit uses a light dependant resistor that can fail. It is obsolete, so finding a new part that works may require some circuit modifications and re-tuning. There is info on the web on how to do it though.

Terry

Hide this!Advertise here!