Circular Saw Choices - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Circular Saw Choices

So I am going to pickup a circular saw... One that I would like to keep for a while. I will be using this for my long cuts as well, do not have the money for a big table saw and refuse to use a little job site table saw...

As I see it I have three ways to go.

Get one of these circular saws and build a jig (Avg $150)
Two Question Here:
  • Is the Makita much better than the DeWalt?
  • Is an electric brake worth the extra price?

OR

Get this Makita track saw kit ($423)
Old 4th February 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I have a Makita, Milwaukee and a DeWalt. I use the DeWalt the most as it feels better and has the easiest adjustments. Yes get the one with the brake, it takes only one oops with a blade to more than pay for itself. The Makita is the one I use only occasionally, doesn't feel as good. Unless you know why you might want a track type saw, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Cal! I will get the DeWalt with brake. I am using the DeWalt non-brake version and do like how it feels. $10 bucks not a bad cost for safety.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Im in love with everything Festool makes.

Not cheap, but the best.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
Im in love with everything Festool makes.

Not cheap, but the best.
Yeah, they make great stuff... for the amount of time I will be building speakers, I wanted to go the path of least resistance while still getting good tools. Festool is a tad out of budget now. If this gets much more serious, that is where I will end up for sure.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I have a Makita, Milwaukee and a DeWalt. I use the DeWalt the most as it feels better and has the easiest adjustments. Yes get the one with the brake, it takes only one oops with a blade to more than pay for itself. The Makita is the one I use only occasionally, doesn't feel as good. Unless you know why you might want a track type saw, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks again, just ordered the DeWalt with brake: DWE575SB
Old 4th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ron: You might know this, but in case you don't .... You can make a simple jig for cutting straight cuts with a circular saw, or you can buy the aluminum tracks that I always find shift or bend.
To make the jig: Take a piece of 1/4" hdf (fibreboard/masonite) slightly longer than the width of the widest material you think you'll cut. Glue a wide (12" or at least wider than the width of your motor) strip of 3/4 mdf roughly parallel to the edge of the hdf at a distance greater than the width of the sole of your saw. Make sure the mdf has a straight, smooth, edge. Then, with the wide edge of the saw's sole tight against the mdf, and resting on the masonite, slide the saw along, cutting the masonite to the exact width of your saw. Now, when you want a straight cut, align the edge of the masonite to where you want your cut, clamp the jig down tightly (which is why the mdf needs to be wide enough to clear your saw's motor) and you're set.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ljk11 is offline ljk11  Trinidad and Tobago
diyAudio Member

if possible get a saw with front and back alignment adjustments.

if a saw is slightly out of alignment with the base it will translate to very bad angled cuts
and you will be wondering what is wrong
Old 8th February 2013, 07:19 AM   #9
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Buy a used vintage Skilsaw at a yard sale for $10. Cut everything oversize, then trim it smooth and accurate with a router. And pay the lumberyard to make the long cuts on their panel saw; it makes it much easier to get the materials home.
Old 8th February 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
if you are cutting multiple pieces of the same width, then those cheap 'table add-on's are not so bad - the type where you fasten your circular saw to the bottom. It takes some time to get it on just right, but can save time when doing multiple cuts where a high[er] degree of 'sameness' is required.

Not to talk-down to anyone here, but using the right saw blade makes a big difference...

Hide this!Advertise here!