Only a Plunge Router? QQ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Only a Plunge Router? QQ

I want to start building out a decent set of tools to build speakers among other things. I would like to be somewhat cost conscious. Could I get away with buying a plunge router and not need a fixed base router? Rephrase: Could I use a plunge router in a case where someone would normally use a fixed base router?
Old 30th January 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thinking about this one: Amazon.com: Makita RP0900K 1-1/4 Horsepower Plunge Router: Home Improvement
Old 30th January 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I guess one related question is, I have a dremel, would this attachment alleviate the need for a router this go-around? Would it work with the Jasper 200 jig?
Old 30th January 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think that variable speed is a requirement.

Availability of circle cutting attachments is another.

my 2 cents worth.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Going with the Bosch.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:56 AM   #7
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good choice, nice price.

Old 30th January 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

"Could I use a plunge router in a case where someone would normally use a fixed base router?"

Yes, of course. The fixed base can offer higher stability, less weight, and better feel, but the plunge assembly of the unit you chose is probably pretty tight compared to some.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the help! Having a router will be a huge advantage in the next build. Making a pair of SuperPensils.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The Bosch looks like a good choice. If possible, always use the 1/2" collet, and buy good carbide bits ... they're worth it. Back to your first post, where you asking if you can use a plunge base/router in a table? Yes.
And if you're starting a good tool collection, buy good clamps. The squeeze handle, fast adjust, kind are good for light clamping but not for work where you need strong compression of a glue joint, and/or to pull a joint tight.
Pipe clamps are affordable (Pony® Regular Pipe Clamp - Lee Valley Tools) which you use with standard black steel pipe. You can switch the ends to different lengths of pipe. Avoid the cheap Chinese ones, because often their machining isn't accurate and they don't clamp square.
These (Bessey K-Body REVO™ Clamps - Lee Valley Tools) are the best hand clamps you can buy, and you'll never regret owning them.
These (Jorgensen® Heavy-Duty Fast-Acting Clamps - Lee Valley Tools) are good, but the small faces leave marks, so you don't want to use them where the surface will show.
And remember the woodworkers axiom: you can never have too many clamps!

Hide this!Advertise here!