diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   Only a Plunge Router? QQ (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/228990-only-plunge-router-qq.html)

RonVinyl 30th January 2013 10:40 AM

Only a Plunge Router? QQ

I want to start building out a decent set of tools to build speakers among other things. I would like to be somewhat cost conscious. Could I get away with buying a plunge router and not need a fixed base router? Rephrase: Could I use a plunge router in a case where someone would normally use a fixed base router?

RonVinyl 30th January 2013 10:47 AM

Thinking about this one: Amazon.com: Makita RP0900K 1-1/4 Horsepower Plunge Router: Home Improvement

RonVinyl 30th January 2013 10:55 AM

I guess one related question is, I have a dremel, would this attachment alleviate the need for a router this go-around? Would it work with the Jasper 200 jig?

RonVinyl 30th January 2013 10:59 AM

Other options, moving higher up in the cost range...

Bosch 1617EVSPK 12 Amp 2-1/4-Horsepower Plunge and Fixed Base Variable Speed Router Kit with 1/4-Inch and 1/2-Inch Collets - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: DEWALT DW618PK 12-AMP 2-1/4 HP Plunge and Fixed-Base Variable-Speed Router Kit: Power & Hand Tools

Amazon.com: DEWALT DW616PK 1-3/4 Horsepower Fixed Base Plunge Router Combo Kit: Power & Hand Tools

So thats four choices, all look decent. Comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

DUG 30th January 2013 11:24 AM

I think that variable speed is a requirement.

Availability of circle cutting attachments is another.

my 2 cents worth.

RonVinyl 30th January 2013 11:25 AM

Going with the Bosch.

DUG 30th January 2013 11:56 AM

Good choice, nice price.

:)

Andrew Eckhardt 30th January 2013 12:32 PM

"Could I use a plunge router in a case where someone would normally use a fixed base router?"

Yes, of course. The fixed base can offer higher stability, less weight, and better feel, but the plunge assembly of the unit you chose is probably pretty tight compared to some.

RonVinyl 30th January 2013 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the help! Having a router will be a huge advantage in the next build. Making a pair of SuperPensils.

prairieboy 30th January 2013 12:48 PM

The Bosch looks like a good choice. If possible, always use the 1/2" collet, and buy good carbide bits ... they're worth it. Back to your first post, where you asking if you can use a plunge base/router in a table? Yes.
And if you're starting a good tool collection, buy good clamps. The squeeze handle, fast adjust, kind are good for light clamping but not for work where you need strong compression of a glue joint, and/or to pull a joint tight.
Pipe clamps are affordable (Pony® Regular Pipe Clamp - Lee Valley Tools) which you use with standard black steel pipe. You can switch the ends to different lengths of pipe. Avoid the cheap Chinese ones, because often their machining isn't accurate and they don't clamp square.
These (Bessey K-Body REVO™ Clamps - Lee Valley Tools) are the best hand clamps you can buy, and you'll never regret owning them.
These (Jorgensen® Heavy-Duty Fast-Acting Clamps - Lee Valley Tools) are good, but the small faces leave marks, so you don't want to use them where the surface will show.
And remember the woodworkers axiom: you can never have too many clamps!