Choice of oscilliscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the "cost no object" leading edge for moderate frequency (few 100s MHz) analog today is actually 12 bit digital 'scopes

most digital scopes use 8 bit converters, only add a bit of resolution with averaging

some do still have wet dreams over mcp intensifier display analog from decades ago

for just extended audio measurement - not parasitic output Q oscillation - 18-16 bit 400 kHz-4 MHz monolithic ADC exist

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am very happy with my Rigol DS2102 Rigol DS2102 DSO !!Special offer!!

Happy with Rigol DS2000 series too. First impressions are its a fast computing well thought out DSO. Just pressing "auto" is enough to demonstrate its speed. Operating satisfaction is up a league from the previous 1000 series. Especially the dedicated metrics menu to the left is a boon. 8 inch screen real estate and 800x480 resolution plus shades grading give a sense of luxury. Soft buttons green backlight could be stronger its only noticed when there is strong light direct on. The screen is fine as long as it is viewed at a soft down looking angle. Above eye level positioning of the scope darkens it out. Better avoid such positioning if you can rearrange the bench gear. The fan is rather too noticeable in silent surroundings although heavier in tone and lower in SPL than in the 1000 series. Its just a close pass under ''nuisance'' level for me. The probes are short and agile enough to handle. Their speed looks adequate. Must push to lock the hook nose bits until a click is heard, else they will slip off easily. Not different than those in the small series in that respect. The noise is low with the averaging method or the Hi Res mode on. About 100uV PK-PK @ 500uV vertical. Takes 20MHZ BWL for the averaging method to beat the Hi Res mode in 40uV PK-PK. In full BW they are equal. I got it form Peter of Silcon Electronics A Small Czech company with same pricing and free shipping, phenomenal pre-sales and after sales support though. Recommended for anybody buying Rigol gear in the EU.
DS2000_zps9504e952.jpg

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,
I am a newbie in this and trying select a scope as tool in helping with my DIY work, is this 100 MHz Rigol Oscilloscope Model DS1102E enoughg? Listed for US$399,

Thnks

More than enough. Had one and was very happy with it. Better gear have functions and benefits we should outgrow smaller series first to really know what to do with.

I know I am a dinosaur, but my all time favorite scope is the Tek 465. As used, these 40 year scopes still cost too much. That should tell you something. I wound up with a Tek 2235 that works quite well. Besides having the BW for amp work, it has Tek's typical solid triggering, delayed sweep and 10x mag. These are needed for my old school "pulser" I use for true time alignment of drivers.

Now, this is not a storage scope. Pure analog. No "save" no "nutin" I use Zalescope on my PC when I have to. I really want a physically shallower scope ( tight workbench) and digital storage, but who knows when the budget will ever allow it. If Zalescope would let me use my 192K sound card, It would be far more versatile. I might even give up the real scope as I just don't do any digital or RF work any more.

Rigol DS1052E

After unsuccessfully attempting to repair / re-calibrate a Tek 468, I decided that my time was better spent building Audio equipment that I could take pleasure in listening to. I broke down and picked up a Rigol DS1052E - no regrets after about 6 months of infrequent use.

I have very fond memories of the Tek 465B that I used to take into gold mines to do Test and Calibration work on ventilation fan vibration monitoring systems. The Tek was indestructible and never missed a beat - too bad it's way too deep to fit on my workbench.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Check the Rigol DS2000 out by the way when using advanced triggering (SPI in this case) to easily latch on a complex signal I designed on my arbitrary function generator. Beauty. I wonder if it gives the Agilent Infinivision 2000 X-Series a good run even.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 253
Did you make it to DS1102E? There was an appreciable gain in fast edges and slight ringing analysis resolution when I took it to 2ns. Has a 135MHz -3dB quasi Gaussian Bode plot when the varicap is done.

I didn't do the firmware hack- it seemed risky and there were stories that Rigol may have plugged that option. Besides, since most of my work is analog, I wasn't sure that the benefit outweighed the risk. I will research my firmware version to see if the hack is still possible.

Please elaborate on the Varicap option.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its what the firmware between those models simply does, i.e. sending another different control voltage to a varicap low pass filter located at the input amplifier. By lessening its capacitance that way, the bandwidth opens. It also unlocks an extra 2nS horizontal selection position. Exactly the same scopes, a hit on a button on a setting up PC during production, slapping another label on the front, and there you are, here is a pricing gamut based on BW. OEM gamut at least, not like when Agilent put their name & spark logo on the Rigol 1000 series and marketed them as their own with a hefty mark up.

O-scope is no very useful for audio (analog neither digital) - i mean it is OK to quick and visual verification but nothing more (thing that can be useful in DSO/DPO will be FFT spectrum analyzer - however dynamic is quite low and limited approx to 40 - 60dB max).
Buy decent audio card (Firewire/USB) which is able to sample signal with 192ksps or higher - this will be definitely more useful for HiFi and can be used side to normal oscilloscope.
I always impressed about people that use 8 bit (at best 10 bit) quality sinewave generators with analog/digital scopes that usually provide less than 50dB dynamics to evaluate their precious 24 bit design.

This can be nice place to start to read about pros and cons for various offered o-scopes nowadays.
Test Equipment - Page 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.