diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   macbook and mic for measurement (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/227338-macbook-mic-measurement.html)

Siberia 8th January 2013 06:32 PM

macbook and mic for measurement

Hello,

I'm about to acquire my first mic and speaker measurement setup. Here's what's on my list:

A DIY mic based on Panasonic WM-61A cartridge (what's the best source in EU with specific calibration files?)

A mic preamp based on this PCB Mad About Sound | Microphone Preamplifier PCB v1.1 (I just realised that store is not trading anymore, so all other suggestions are welcome)

I already own a Macbook pro. Alas, it has only one headphone ouput, that could be used as input if switched via system preferences. My question would that be enough or do I need an additional sound card?

I'd love to know more mac os x software options for speaker measurements are welcome too.

Thanks!

gk7 8th January 2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberia (Post 3316824)
... it has only one headphone ouput, that could be used as input if switched ...

I would opt for a soundcard then. Most measurement software puts out a
test signal and measures in a defined time window so you will need input
and output. A soundcard with microphone inputs already built in probably
would be suited best.

Maybe its best to have a look at the software documentation first to see
what the requirements are. What do you intend to use ?

planet10 8th January 2013 07:06 PM

Lots of external semi-Pro USB I/O boxes. They will all have mic pre built in. Fuzzmeasure ($$) or REW (free) for measuring

dave

Siberia 8th January 2013 07:42 PM

Alright, got it. I was thinking of Arta (via Crossover) use, as mostly recommended.
Do you think ECM8000 mic with this Specifications | Focusrite would be an overspecified option for a hobyist like me?

planet10 8th January 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberia (Post 3316927)
Alright, got it. I was thinking of Arta (via Crossover) use, as mostly recommended.

I haven't played much with Crossover, it does give more sw flexibility. There is also Sun's Virtual Box, VMWare & Parallels. You still have to deal with the typical 3 cliks when one would do WIndoz interface.

Quote:

Do you think ECM8000 mic with this Specifications | Focusrite would be an overspecified option for a hobyist like me?
ECM8000 is the cheap entry levelmeasure mic. It needs to be calibrated to be useful. The Focusrite is exactly the kind of I/O box i was thinking of. I have 2 Edirols/

dave

Siberia 8th January 2013 08:24 PM

Thank you, Dave! I do use Crossover and it works fine, although not without some minor glitches for ex. while working on PSUD2. ECM8000 (uncalibrated) + Focusrite would be around 260$. It's not very cheap on my planet. Still doable.

Siberia 13th January 2013 02:41 PM

Sorry, one last decision making quesition. Am I doing better with this mic and pre
iSEMcon GmbH together with a borrowed mac with two default/input output jacks?