macbook and mic for measurement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hello,

I'm about to acquire my first mic and speaker measurement setup. Here's what's on my list:

A DIY mic based on Panasonic WM-61A cartridge (what's the best source in EU with specific calibration files?)

A mic preamp based on this PCB Mad About Sound | Microphone Preamplifier PCB v1.1 (I just realised that store is not trading anymore, so all other suggestions are welcome)

I already own a Macbook pro. Alas, it has only one headphone ouput, that could be used as input if switched via system preferences. My question would that be enough or do I need an additional sound card?

I'd love to know more mac os x software options for speaker measurements are welcome too.

Thanks!

... it has only one headphone ouput, that could be used as input if switched ...

I would opt for a soundcard then. Most measurement software puts out a
test signal and measures in a defined time window so you will need input
and output. A soundcard with microphone inputs already built in probably
would be suited best.

Maybe its best to have a look at the software documentation first to see
what the requirements are. What do you intend to use ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alright, got it. I was thinking of Arta (via Crossover) use, as mostly recommended.

I haven't played much with Crossover, it does give more sw flexibility. There is also Sun's Virtual Box, VMWare & Parallels. You still have to deal with the typical 3 cliks when one would do WIndoz interface.

Do you think ECM8000 mic with this Specifications | Focusrite would be an overspecified option for a hobyist like me?

ECM8000 is the cheap entry levelmeasure mic. It needs to be calibrated to be useful. The Focusrite is exactly the kind of I/O box i was thinking of. I have 2 Edirols/

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.