Dayton Audio iMM-6 Feedback - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 12:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton Audio iMM-6 Feedback

Parts Express has this iMM-6 measurement mike really cheap. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it? If it is anything more than a toy, I'll give it a run.
Old 13th December 2013, 06:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

i am also planning for this. owners of this mic...please share your experience
also anybody tried using it with PC?
Old 13th December 2013, 06:47 AM   #3
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

It does come with a calibration curve... presumably measured from your particular microphone. Or is it a group average error correction curve for all mics... same curve for everyone? Didn't see any graphs/plots of Omni-directionality or corrected freq response or tolerance/error etc. Guess you have to buy one to find out? Hmmm. Anyway, I have a similar mic one from a few years ago for my iTouch and it works well... no idea how accurate it is ..... I wonder if this one is better/flatter etc? Sure is cheap.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 13th December 2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 13th December 2013, 06:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes it comes with its own calibration file which is specific to each unit.
Old 19th December 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have this microphone and for what it cost it is an excellent mic. !!

Each microphone has its own curve that is specific to it.

I have even used this microphone for some very lite recording as it can only handle just under 120db or so as it exhibits clipping above this.

I used it record some ambience and to get an overall sound of a blues band while they were working out there part and it was very clean!!

I was amazed that the kick drum and bass guitar had come out so well with very very little coloration the of the band as a whole, if any at all!!!

I even use it to record an Acoustic Guitar as well with very good results since I can't afford to get any $350 mic's right now.

It is very flat and reminded me of the Audio Technica 4041's that I had many years ago, only that the 4041's can handle as much as 145db.

FWIW

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 19th December 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 20th December 2013, 04:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
I have this microphone and for what it cost it is an excellent mic. !!

Each microphone has its own curve that is specific to it.

I have even used this microphone for some very lite recording as it can only handle just under 120db or so as it exhibits clipping above this.

I used it record some ambience and to get an overall sound of a blues band while they were working out there part and it was very clean!!

I was amazed that the kick drum and bass guitar had come out so well with very very little coloration the of the band as a whole, if any at all!!!

I even use it to record an Acoustic Guitar as well with very good results since I can't afford to get any $350 mic's right now.

It is very flat and reminded me of the Audio Technica 4041's that I had many years ago, only that the 4041's can handle as much as 145db.

FWIW

jer
thanks a lot jer. then i guess it should do pretty well for basic room EQing job
Old 20th December 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, I use mine all of the time and have made some very nice and accurate measurements with it.
I especially like that it goes down to 20hz as my other everyday mic's (assorted and vocal) tend to start rolling off at 40 to 70hz or so.

jer

P.S. It helps greatly to have an SPL meter to calibrate your software to a reference level as well, I picked Mine up for $20 on sale at this same time of the year when I got my mic.

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 20th December 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 6th January 2014, 04:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinzane View Post
Parts Express has this iMM-6 measurement mike really cheap. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it? If it is anything more than a toy, I'll give it a run.
Not a toy, but not a mic made for doing recording, just a low cost microphone that is EQ calibrated without regard for sound quality or other desirable recording microphone characteristics.

Hide this!Advertise here!