Dark CRT of Tektronix 576 curve tracer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear. Friends

I recently bought defected Tektronix 576 curvetracer to pass time. :D

I found step generator is not oscillating because rusty ICs pin. Replaced all of them. However major trouble is low intensity of CRT. I checked HV for CRT and actual voltage was 3.2KVDC but it suppose to be 4KVDC. And 6.3VAC heater voltage and it's lit fine.

When I turning intensity contron from low to high the spot or line on CRT the intelsity increasing was not linear. The intensity is changing from dark, low, mid low, high and mid low again on it's way. Therefore I have to negotiate with 60% of intensity control position to get maximum intensity but the intensity is still not enough. Really hard to see line on CRT when the spot on CRT is stratching as a line.

Focus control works fine because spot is changing oval shape from horizontal to vertical.

Here is my question, Is HV3.2KVDC not enough for this CRT to get enough intensity or the CRT immission too low?

It is very hard to find replacement of the CRT. Has anyone solution or apare part for sale?

Thank you in advanced.

Has the intensity pot been cleaned?

I would check that and whatever it connects to for dry joints.

Have you checked the B+ voltage and other power supply voltages? If you are getting low HV then its likely that the power supply feeding your flyback is lower too.

Last edited:
Freax,

I checked the intensity pot using DVM and the pot works good. Also I found the spot light is scattering when I turn intensity pot to full clockwise. (dark, low, mid low, high and scattering) Which means spot is scattered when I turn intensity pot to full clockwise)

I have checked all power supply voltages and all they are within spec.

I don't know what reason the spot is scattering? I will attach photo for your reference later.

Thank you.

What do you mean when you say "Scattering"? Do you mean the spot gets bigger or that it moves? What did you measure the high voltage with? Tek usually used a Tripplet 630 VOM. 20000 ohms pre volt, 6000V range means 120 Meg input resistance. I would suspect a high voltage problem.

When I turning intensity contron from low to high the spot or line on CRT the intelsity increasing was not linear. The intensity is changing from dark, low, mid low, high and mid low again on it's way.

This is called "double peaking", and it means the CRT is near the end of its life :(

Some things to try:

1. CRT rejuvenation: CRT Restoration for the (Brave) Experimenter

2. See if anyone on the TekScopes mailing list has an extra CRT

3. Connect an external display

4. Wedge in an LCD module

I have a Tektronix 576 curve tracer with poor CRT brightness. My Sencore CR70 Beam Builder Universal CRT Analyzer Restorer manual makes a few references to scope CRTs, but does not include settings or a procedure. I have an old Heathkit scope I can use to develop a procedure that does not destroy the CRT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Free CR70 manual at Keres? - Service Manual finder | ElektroTanya | Service manuals and repair tips for electronics experts
Here is a link to information on scope CRT restoration. CRT Restoration for the (Brave) Experimenter

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have tried to recondition scope CRT's with a Sencore but with mixed results at best. Usually when the brightness is low the CRT emission is really gone. The first stage is double peaking- dim to bright then dim then brighter. I would give the reconditioner a try. Nothing to lose. The Tek manual with tell you which pins are which on the CRT connector. The Sencore manual explains how it works. There is also some stuff on the web on this.

Getting at the CRT is quite the challenge on the bigger Tek scopes. I had a Tek 7844 with a blue-UV phosphor that was impossible to look at. I got a replacement CRT but swapping the CRT's looked so difficult I passed on the whole thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.