Tube tester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was chatting to Ronald about your implementation - those thumbwheel switches are normally only rated for 100mA switching and 500mA max @ 250V.

That means you may have a serious risk of a meltdown on the heater switches and and arcing on the screen & anode...

Though the thumbwheels look neat, I've decided to go the simple plug-and-socket route...

It was a big search for these switches. Fortunatly, these switches can hold 3A at 28 volt dc. And indeed switch 125 mA at 125V ac. They have an Insulation resistance of 1000MOhm at 500V, an a dielectric Strength of 600V for 1 min.

So they are sutable for this purpose, it's just important not to switch during a test..

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi leakstereo20,

Yes, these instruments are mine, I service them and use them for servicing amps (guitar, bass and audio), troubleshooting problems tied to tubes... And yes, I must confess that I like that kind of instruments too !

Zibi is from Poland, so he may have more info about the Polish EPO508 tube tester. Or maybe he only took the pictures on jacsmusic's website also ?

A+!

Hi A+,

You did a great service job to all your tubetesters ......! They just look fine. I think you have the same passion for such equipment, as I have for amplifiers and AR speakers :)

Best regards
Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

The uTracer is kit, it has the PCB and all components needed to build the PCB, including the construction manual. In the picture you can see what's in the kit

You can allready see how the PCB is build, and download the software
It uses an old Laptop powerunit to power. So no big expensive transformers needed.

The kit is 195 Euro.

On my tracer I use an USB to TTL convertor for the connection to my PC, My PC has no serial connection. The convertor is a kit from ELV more info here: Optisch getrenntes USB-Modul UO 100, Komplettbausatz | ELV-Elektronik
I use some old Tube sockets, a noval, a octal, an UX4 and an UX5 socket and some wire.

I think all together I spend 300 - 350 Euro.

For all information and examples of other builders you should look at: The uTracer, a miniature Tube Curve Tracer / Tester.

Hi molekuul,
Thank you for your info. I shall have a closer look at the "uTracer" site....by use of an old powersupply from a pc, I don't have to worry about that part!... And you have solved the switch problem for us with the Omron A7PH-203-1 contact-switches.

We might need advices to the assembling of the uTracer ....hobe it's ok to ask questions here?:)

Best regards
Kim

Hi molekuul,
Thank you for your info. I shall have a closer look at the "uTracer" site....by use of an old powersupply from a pc, I don't have to worry about that part!... And you have solved the switch problem for us with the Omron A7PH-203-1 contact-switches.

We might need advices to the assembling of the uTracer ....hobe it's ok to ask questions here?:)
You really need the 19V laptop PSU, not a 12V ATX PSU - you can pick them up on eBay for under USD 10 delivered (in the UK at least). The heater supply is derived by using PWM on the supply voltage - with a 12V PSU, you won't be able to drive any heater higher than just below 12V. Laptop PSUs are much smaller than ATX supplies, and very cheap.

I quite like the idea of the thumbwheel switches, but also quite like the idea of plain old 4mm plugs & sockets - haven't decided yet...

So far I've spent just the 195 euros cost of the kit (worth every penny) as the sockets etc. are from my workshop. I suspect by the time its boxed and with a decent top panel I'll be looking at close to 300 euros...

My uTester is proving very useful for tube matching - its not tricky to build, but you do have to be careful and follow the instructions carefully...

Last edited:
Tube list with Thumbwheel settings

Dear All,

Hereby a list derived from TV-7 data floating around on the Net..

1 = Cathode
2 = Grid
3 = Anode
4 = Screen
5 = Filament
6 = Filament

I did not change the Notations so they sometimes point to the TV-7 and the Hickok adapters.

Attachments

• ThumbWheel_Tubelist.zip
    87.1 KB · Views: 113
Not to pour cold water on all the tube-tester-collecting out there...I own a half dozen myself...but if I had a dollar for every tube that someone sold as measuring excellent or better that didn't have either a short or was so weak it may as well not be used at all, I'd have enough money to buy several more testers...the problem IMO is that many many testers are in need of a thorough going over and re-calibration themselves as to be virtually worthless as far as gauging the real condition of a particular tube.

Nothing...and I mean nothing, substitutes sticking a tube in a circuit designed for that tube and seeing how it performs under actual operating and load conditions...especially when you have a known good tube to compare it against....

Don't get me wrong...I love equipment too, it's just that I've seen a lot of supposedly fail tubes measured in someone's unmaintained and uncalibrated tester do just fine when placed in circuit....

And nothing beats slapping a tube in a phono stage or guitar amp to determine if its noisy or microphonic either....;)

In addition to the cal issue, I seriously doubt that more than a hand full of people selling tubes are using a variac to adjust the voltage to the tube tester. Running on high line (current line voltage is above what they were designed for), the heater voltage is too high, causing false readings.

In addition to the cal issue, I seriously doubt that more than a hand full of people selling tubes are using a variac to adjust the voltage to the tube tester. Running on high line (current line voltage is above what they were designed for), the heater voltage is too high, causing false readings.

The uTracer compensates for all that - has an ADC that reads the supply voltage so it gets its maths right on PWM etc... the screen & anode voltages are generated from on-board SMPS supplies, so are unaffected too.

Last edited:
Nothing...and I mean nothing, substitutes sticking a tube in a circuit designed for that tube and seeing how it performs under actual operating and load conditions...especially when you have a known good tube to compare it against....

Oh... It seems that you've discovered hot water, indeed ! And when you have an Ampeg SVT, an Ashdown BTA-400 to service, with 6 to 8 6550 or KT88, your substitution trick can turn to a fireworks for a brand new set of these costy tubes. So you need a tube tester, and a good one, well-calibrated, even if it is a simple emission tester as my NRI-70 below, that I bought for cheap :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But yes, an uncalibrated Hickok 539B or C is nothing more than a nice toy... And most of them need a serious calibration job ! It would be more easy to calibrate and check if the Hickoks complied to the tube datasheet - like my Metrix 310CTR - instead of relying on an always questionable proprietary tube chart...

A+!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.